We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

Good evening,

Family of 4 with 2 kids flying to Israel in a week's time. Is it safe to travel to bethelem from Jerusalem at the moment? Quite worried about today's protest..

21 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,822 posts
1. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

Yes, it's safe. Any protests will almost certainly be history a week from now; they usually last for three days! And if you are referring to the violence in Gaza, that is nowhere near either Jerusalem or Bethlehem, and far from where tourists are generally likely to visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
2. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

Thanks Mr Shuff for the reassurance :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,107 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

Jackson, FYI--it would be Ms. Shuff!

Bethlehem...
7 posts
4. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

Hey, even though you already have your answer, I still would like to reply:

As mentioned before, what you mainly see about violence etc is played out in Gaza. The West bank in general is a safe place for tourists to visit, including Bethlehem. The Palestinians are making sure tourists feel safe since they give many of them an income ;)

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I'm staying in Bethlehem for three months at the moment :)

Stockholm, Sweden
6 posts
1 review
5. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

We took the local bus there today and everything was fine until we exit the bus in Betlehem. At the busstop we where attacked by two men who wanted to take us in their taxi and show us the sights. We said no thank you, we will walk the short distance to the sight we wanted to see. They did not accept no for an answer and kept following us. When we walked away they said we were dissrespectful and we stayed a while, looked at the information about the sights they wanted to show us. Again we said no, we walk. They said, we will walk with you and we would have to pay. Again we said no, and now it got more ugly. They started to curse at us, saying f***ng american and if it wasnt for ramadan they would beat us. Now we started to get really sick of this situation so we got back on the bus again and went back to Jerusalem without seing the Bethlehem sights.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

Congratulations. Thanks to your mishandling of the situation, you missed out on everything Bethlehem has to offer. Naturally, customs in the West Bank should be the same as you expect in Stockholm. Better stay there. The world is a varied place, and you might discover something you don't expect.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
106 reviews
7. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

I don't really understand John's answer to the OP

I was also put under some pressure to use Taxi's in Bethlehem when i got off the bus, but I just said no thank you I prefer to walk. They were persistent but I just kept on walking. When i was there last week, it was very very quiet, so I guess work is scarce, although I am sorry you received such abuse, which is unusual from what I have read. Mind you,l was shouted at by a rudefranciscan monk in bethlehem, but that is another story!

Edited: 02 June 2018, 18:07
Jerusalem, Israel
6 posts
1 review
8. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

And how precisely did they mishandle the situation? And how would you have handled it?

Usa River, Tanzania
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

dear Kimikiwi

Dont worry about The Priest who Shouted at You at The Milk grotto as i reed your Review on Milk Grotto.Hes a New Priests and No Body Likes Him and Your Not The First or last but I Like To Say Im Sorry for The Way He Spoke To You .

Usa River, Tanzania
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent

jackson

If There Was any Trouble In Bethlehem or Jerusalem You Can Still Come To Bethlehem .Its Hard For You To Believe and For other travellers and I Dont Blame You .I Havent ever Heard a Tourist getting killed By The Troubles .In a Nutshell if You Make Trouble You Will Get Hurt .Bethlehem and Jerusalem are Beautiful and Rich of History and Every day Tourists come To Visits Evan Theres Troubles

Reply to: Is it safe to visit bethelem at the monent
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted