We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

I'll be visiting Istanbul for the first time in a few weeks. My hotel does not offer airport transfer (actually they do, but apparently they only have limosine service, which is too expensive).

What would be the best way to get a taxi from Ataturk airport to my hotel in Besiktas, Istanbul?

Should I book the Ataturk Airport Taxi from their website in advance? Or should I just find the taxi stand at the airport and just get one of these "normal" taxis from there? Is there anything that I should look out for or be wary off?

Many years ago I had a bad experience with a taxi tout at the Charles de Gaulle Airport in France (due to my own naivete and lack of research). Don't want to go through that again.

And what would be the typical taxi fares from Ataturk airport to the Besiktas area? Thanks.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,661 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

kevlarr, welcome to Istanbul.

When you come out of the arrivals hall, you will see taxis lined up for service. Get the first one in the line. They all belong to the same coop and noo need to book taxis in advance. The fare to Besiktas will approximately be 60 TL. Try to give exact amoınts as much as possible to the driver. You can get TL from the ATM's at the airport.

good luck,

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

kevlar,

do Not use taxi in istanbul!

you can use public transport like metro, havas or private transfer.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293974-c122708/Istan…

Arek

Edited: 03 September 2012, 18:31
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

I agree with "do Not use taxi in istanbul"

I don't know exactly the metro route, if possible it would be my first choice or private transfer.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

Thanks for the replies.

May I ask what is this "private transfer" and how do I get them?

Enigma...are the taxis that lined up at the airport the same as this:

www.havalimanitaksi.com/site/modules.php…

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

Arek gives you a link that gives details of many of the transfer and shuttle companies.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,661 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

Kevlarr, You should not hesitate to take a taxi from the airport to your hotel. Just take the taxi in the que. Yes, they look like tose taxis, because that is the airport taxi cooperative website.

Now if you want to save from taxi charges, simply board the HAVATAS bus that goes to Taksim.(10 TL/person). From Taksim to Besiktas, a taxi is no more than 12 TL.

good luck,

enigma...

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

I see the link now. Don't know how i could've missed it. Seems like there are a lot of companies providing private transfers. Will check them out.

Enigma, Its good to know that. Thanks.

Ibusuki, Japan
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

you can calculate it from here: www.taksiucreti.com/…

it shows 65 TL.

I will suggest you take Havas Airport Shuttle that goes to Taksim, which is very close to Besiktas.

you can see Havas schedule here

havas.net/en/…

Its only 10 TL.

Ibusuki, Japan
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

Well I had to say something very important, when you get off the Havas in Taksim, if somebody offers a taxi, some guy, dont accept. Just find one from taxi stop or wave your hand to a taxi running by.

If a taxi driver say its to close to drive besiktas, you can say you can give him 10-15 tl if he does not turn on meter.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get a taxi from Ataturk Airport to Hotel

There is no problem whatsoever by taking a taxi at the airport. Avoid taking stray taxies roaming in Sultanahmet fishing for tourists they can cheat. Always take a taxi from a taxi rank, or have the hotel call for one. This is really painfully simple.

By never taking a taxi you will only make your trip less pleasant.