We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Topic
5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

I am planning on coming to Istanbul in April for the first time.

Will 5 days be enough to catch most of the main sites?

I just want to make sure I see the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, the Sultanahment area, Taksim Square, Bosphrous area and do shopping in the Grand Square.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

Yes this is ideal.You can see all the main must see's at a comfortable pace-and you'll see all the tulips too!

Edited: 14 January 2011, 22:45
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,297 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

Hi Tyler,

Welcome to Istanbul. 5 days in Istanbul would be barely sufficient to hit the major sights you mentioned, including the Grand Bazaar and Bosphorus cruise and a mini side trip to Kadikoy (Asian side). Here's a good website that discusses the attractions of Istanbul: "http://istanbul.mydestinationinfo.com/".

good luck,

enigma...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

Istanbul is a big city with lots of exciting things to see but for a first timer 5 days is a good amount of time to see the must see sites in the historic area and then venture to other parts of the city to see the living Istanbul to make a perfect balance.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

My first trip to Istanbul was five days long - and that was perfect. In five days, my friend and I were able to visit all the sites in Sultanahmet, see the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, MOMA, visit Taksim/Beyloglu, see the Chora Museum, Pierre Loti, and take a ferry to see the Asian side of Istanbul. What I liked about having five days is seeing everything at an easy pace. Five days is perfect for a first time visit to Istanbul.

UK
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

Thanks for the feedbacj guys.

I'm thinking 5 will be enough to get the must see or most of the must see sites.

Btw, is it worth getting half board in Istanbul if its only a little more expensive?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

Oh..um..er…there are sooo many wonderful places to eat in the city but I guess if there is only negligible difference in the price then with H/B at least you have a meal ready and waiting if you are too tired to get ready to go out to eat.And if you do decide to go out then you won’t feel you have wasted too much money .If it is quite a bit more though don’t bother just go B&B.Really you are spoilt for choice here.Check out the sticky at the top of the forum page with up to date info on restaurants in İstanbul.☺

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

I generally agree that five days will provide an adequate amount of time to visit the "must sees" in Istanbul. However, on her first visit to Istanbul our daughter had only five days, and for the next four years she complained that it was totally inadequate and she should have stayed for two weeks.

We have spent hundreds of days in Istanbul, and there are still things we want to do and places we have yet to visit. If you have any additional time I would add another day or two, but five days is certainly better than any fewer days.

8. Re: 5 days in Istanbul for a first timer enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2012, 16:31