We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on the Travel Route in Turkey!!!

Mae Sot, Thailand
Level Contributor
15 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on the Travel Route in Turkey!!!

Hey everyone,

After I got stuck with my itinerary plan in Turkey for a while, I came up with an new idea, but not sure how much it is possible to do it within 13-14 days (roughly 2 weeks). I will travel like a circle!!! Here is the plan:

1. Istanbul: probably I can make a day trip to Gallipoli? or any day trip advice from Istanbul?-around 4 days, enough?

2. Izmir: 4 days I will travel to a day trip Selcuk, Ephesus, and Troy. Could it be possible?

3. Pamukkale: about 2 days

4. Antalya: 2 days

5. Ankara or Cappadocia: 2 days...stay overnight either one of these places. Do you have any recommendations where is better? I should go directly to Cappadocia? or go to Ankara and make a day trip to Cappadocia?

After that, I will go directly to Istanbul and catch a flight bk to my country.

Any comments/suggestions are welcomed. The more advise the more idea I will get :)

Best,

Poonie

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on the Travel Route in Turkey!!!

It will help immensely if you get a map of Turkey and reconsider your plan.

Gallipoli and Troy are very close to each other and after reaching them from istanbul, it will be easier to continue to Selcuk-Ephesus.

Do not bother with Izmir, but stay at Selcuk for Ephesus and Pamukkale.

There are flights from izmir airport (not far from Selcuk) to Cappadocia (Kayseri or Nevsehir)

You should probably forget Antalya and spend more time in istanbul and/or the other locations.

But if you must go to Antalya, it is a good idea to take a flight from Kayseri to antalya and then fly back to Istanbul from Antalya.

This route will avoid any backtracking and save you a great deal of time.

If you plan this for the high season next summer you should make your hotel and flight reservatins by early Spring.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on the Travel Route in Turkey!!!

Quiet a nice plan Panini poole, 2 weeks is quite a long time and you can see a lot.

For a loop İ suggest 3 days İstanbul, then over Gallipoli and Troy down to Selcuk and spent 2 days there, afternoon to Pamukkale. Next day full day to see Hierapolis and the sun set on the travertines.

Down to the coast 2 days Fethiye area, on to Kas or Antalya 2 days, up fly to Cappadocia 2 days and back to İstanbul.

You can really see a lot in 2 weeks and cover quite a distance, just be sure to have every now and then a day to unwind and relax.

Good luck!

Mae Sot, Thailand
Level Contributor
15 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on the Travel Route in Turkey!!!

@otherchelebi

I'm so appreciated with you though I already did like you said I looked at the Turkey's map and found out that my route looked hilarious. I thought I would cut off Antalya and will spend only half a day in Izmir. The other plans are just like you said..

Istanbul-Canakkale-Selcuk-Pamukkale-Cappadocia-Ankara and Istanbul sounds more logical.

Thanks all!!!

Best,

Poonie

4. Re: Need advice on the Travel Route in Turkey!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 07:20