We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
871 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival

Just would like to make sure that my understanding is correct.

When I contact a travel agent in Turkmenistan for tours, they will arrange a Letter of Invitation (LOI) and issue to me.

If I cross the land border from Uzbekistan, I would need to show the LOI to the Turkmenistan immigration officers and they will then turn the LOI into a visa. Does it mean that I have to pay the visa fee at the crossing? And they only accept cash, and in exact change, in US dollars?

Another question is, can I arrange an LOI that allows me to enter at land border crossing A but leaving at another crossing B?

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival

I'm assuming that you are applying for a tourist visa. If you book a tour with a Turkmenistan tour operator they will provide you with the LOI. When you cross the border from Uzbekistan you show them the LOI and they will already have your information on their computer and issue the visa.

Yes you have to pay in cash (USD) and I think it has to be exact change but I'm not positive. There is also another small fee that is extra to the visa cost. Your tour operator will advise you as to the amount payable. We used Advantour and that is how they did it.

We entered by land from Uzbekistan and left by a flight from Ashgabat to Baku so exiting via a different land border crossing would be no problem.

All of this will work only if you book a tour.

Mentioned in this post
Ashgabat
Ashgabat
Ahal Province, Turkmenistan
Baku
Baku
Absheron Region, Azerbaijan
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
871 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival

One further question: After the issue of the Letter of Invitation, is it possible to change the date of visit ? Such as the same duration but instead of 1st to 5th of May, the day of visit would be 2nd to 6th of May. Anyone has this experience ?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival

Why don't you ask the tour company supplying the LOI? They will be able to give you a definite answer.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival

if you want tour of Turkmenistan with invitation letter please send me a message

kind regards

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival

In your letter of invitation will be shown the dates when you can arrive and the quantity of days of your stay in Turkmenistan

london
Level Contributor
752 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival

mine says:

You are entitled to enter for 8 days during this one month period

I don't know where the 8 days came from - I'm planned on staying 6. It's enough, but compared to the surrounding countries limits of 30/45 days, looks pretty mean. God know what happens if I get sick during my visit and end up overstaying.

and the first entry date is 3 days before I'm actually booked to enter, again don't know who asked for that.

Reply to: Letter of Invitation and Visa on Arrival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turkmenistan