We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

perth
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Hi,

I am getting married in December 2011 and looking at possible wedding reception venues. Planning on getting married at St. Lucias and looking for a true 5 star reception hotel - any ideas and which one is the best in re: food / ballroom / location / service / etc?

Thank you!!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,790 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Hi there,

Galle Face and Mount are the only 'authentic' Lankan places we know of. Maybe not as posh as Cinnamon or Hilton which we used or attended but well enough; happy esp. with the Mount Lavinia 120-guest party.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

I wouldnt call any of the hotel reception halls in SL "Authentic" including Mount where I had my own wedding. Anyway, here goes...,

Almost all the 5 star hotels in and around Colombo will provide very good service. But within each hotel there are at least 3 different venues. Which one you can select depends on what your head count is.

Mount Lavenia : Empire Balle Room only. The other smaller venues are not so grand / nice.

Galle Face Hotel: ideal for on outdoor "Ocean front evening wedding" with the sun setting in the horizon. other than that only the largest Balle Room is good. Again smaller locations are not that nice.

Taj Samudra: Has a reception hall at top level with glass front to the ocean side. If the curtains are kept open, it is almost as if you are floating...very nice.

Cinnamon Grand: The Atrium is the best location. (can send some pix of this if you want to see. PM me.

Hotel Galadari & Hilton: Both have good locations but have not been to a wedding in these two for a while.

Water's Edge : this is just out of Colombo city limits and have a Golf course and a very nice large banquet hall.

Jet Liner Cruise: you can book this ship for an evening wedding and cruise just off the coast of Colombo while partying on the deck. It must be really nice to see the Galle Face green & colombo coast from the sea at night...(some thing I have not done yet)

Other than these, most tourist hotels such as Heritance Ahungalla, Blue Water, Wadduwa offer wedding packages especially for small groups.

Quality of food wise, I would put Galle Face at no. 1 and all others at no 2.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

If your looking for a nice beach wedding I would advise down south in Sri Lanka. I attended a friends wedding in January 2011 and it was awesome. She got in touch with an agent (our tour operator linked her with them) that organises weddings and everything was done for her, from the flowers to the music to the food etc...amazing and at such an amazing cost...it would have cost her a fortune to have the scale of wedding here in the UK.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

organised my friends wedding in dec 2010 in hikkaduwa, they had an amazing day and we did loads of pre wedding stuff as well....cricket match on the beach etc...stayed in a small hotel on reef end of beach, the owner staff and his family were amazing.... we.organised the flowers with a lady from colombo, who, from our basic ideas, created some breathtaking displays and bouquets etc...at a very realistic price !!! would have paid stupid prices in uk. also used a company from colombo for a weird and wacky and delicious wedding cake...if you need any help let me know. we did stay at mount lavinia for a few days after wedding and the amount of weddings they do in a day is quite something.....the most 11 in one day!!!! they offer all sorts of venues from small to large...one evening they set up marquee on roof terrace overlooking beach, beautiful, have fun...

Bristol
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Can you tell mr where your friend got married? And what was the weather like? Thanks

Bristol
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Can you tell me where your friend got married? And what was the weather like? Thinking of getting married there in dec.

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Are you talking about Dec 2012? 2 options, 1 is to have a wedding in a star class hotel in Colombo, Mount or Wadduwa, Kalutara as stated above. More expensive, better services and quality and can accommodate lot of people.

Another is to have a beach wedding in a smaller place down south which will be cheaper.

Also depends on how many people you wish to invite.

Cheers

Tharindu

Bristol
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Yes dec 2012 or can wait until Dec 2013 as in no hurry. Will only be inviting approx 30 guests. Wanting to have a beach wedding , ideally stay in a resort that is situated on the beach. Interested to know where are the best beaches? Thanks Tracey

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,790 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

In that time of the year, Bentota and anything south of it. Sadly enough the further from Colombo the more pristine. Avoid 1st half of December, 2nd half generally gets quite good weather.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Any idea about the prices of these places as im staying out of the country pleased to know abot the rates