We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach resort

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
35 reviews
Which beach resort

We're a couple mid 50s, considering a 2 week holiday next January 2017, need help in deciding which beach resort to select.

We visited Sri Lanka many years ago, unable to remember which area or hotel we stayed at, the only memory we have is we've always wanted to return to Sri Lanka.

Location is important for now, hotel selection will be once we've selected a location.

So, we're looking for somewhere not heavily populated with tourists.

Beach shacks to enable day time on a beach.

Sufficient bars / restaurants for evening strolls outside the hotel, confide to a hotel due to insufficient local establishments is not our preference.

On a side note, we've recently returned from "South" Goa, if we could find "South" Goa in Sri Lanka, we'll be happy.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,118 posts
229 reviews
1. Re: Which beach resort

Hi there,

Hikkaduwa is most Goa-like in Lanka. And has more quiet areas like southside next to (seasonally) packed areas like middle and north side. Unawatuna, Mirissa and Tangalle are other towns that could be interesting to you.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Matara, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Which beach resort

hi, if you are looking for quit beach resort on January, it will be little difficult. every year every coastal area getting popular among the tourists. so quit places in this year will be a crowded place next year. so if you need to book a beach hotel book a hotel away from the towns and away from the popular areas. and book maximum for 2 days. and hire a car or small three wheeler( tuk tuk ) and find a best place for you.

good luck

Edited: 06 February 2016, 00:57
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,118 posts
229 reviews
3. Re: Which beach resort

Yes but they also told " confide to a hotel due to insufficient local establishments". And quiet areas do have, yes, no choice of tourist restaurants as they don't have enough tourists to sustain the business. In the end the choice for OP...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Which beach resort

Thanks for the replies, we recently stayed within Cavelossim, Goa, we're tempted to return back, however, we really would like to revisit Sri Lanka if we can find the ideal location.

@post 2, good suggestion moving every couple of days via a tuk tuk, however, this is certainly not our idea of a holiday, hence, why the location has to be right for us.

Edited: 06 February 2016, 01:07
Styrsö
Level Contributor
19 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Which beach resort

Been to Goa; to Benaulim, Patnem, Agoda and Palolem seven years ago. Now we have just got back home from Sri Lanka. We stayed in Mirissa and Tangelle during xmas and New Year. More tourists and partylife on the beach in Mirissa. Tangalle more quiet and absolutely lovely (but very strong waves and currents). Can't say it is like Goa. Sri Lanka is Sri Lanka...but love them both!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Which beach resort

Thanks Maria, based on your suggestions, I don't think Mirissa is for us, based on It being a "party" area.

It's doubtful Tangelle will be for us either, based on very strong waves and currents.

So, at the moment, we're leaning towards Hikkaduwa.

Can anyone advise, what's the weather and sunset time during January?

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Which beach resort

Hi,

Dec to March is best season for Hikkaduwa hence Jan is very much OK.Good weather.

BR+

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
114 reviews
8. Re: Which beach resort

Hi

We have been to Sri Lanka twice, the first time staying at the Jetwing Lighthouse Hotel, Galle and the second time at the Galle Fort Hotel situated in the old fort. We befriended a tuk tuk driver and used to go to Unawatuna beach for the day. At Unawatuna we used to spend our days on the beach at the Kingfisher restaurant and guesthouse which I can highly recommend. I don't know how noisy it would be at night however if you stayed there. We also took a trip to Hikkaduwa beach for the day. The accommodation here appeared more basic. If you chose to stay in Galle fort there are some lovely restaurants. Check out my reviews.

PP

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Which beach resort

PP, thanks for posting, what was your opinion of Hikkaduwa

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
114 reviews
10. Re: Which beach resort

Hi WizWiz

We only spent one day on the beach at Hikkaduwa at the Hug Inn. The beach itself did remind us of Goa! The clientele appeared to be back packer youngsters, Russians and a few seniors.

I don't know what accommodation is available in Hikkaduwa as a whole but it was pretty basic here.

The Kingfisher at Unawatuna is more upmarket. We had originally planned to stay in Unawatuna on our second trip but we were glad we elected to stay at the Galle Fort and get a tuk tuk to the beach each day. I think you may get noise at night at Unawatuna.

Sorry I can't be more help.

PP