We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorbike hire

Perth
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Motorbike hire

Hi,

My partner and I are looking at hiring 2 motorbikes for a self guided tour of Sri Lanka for 3 weeks.

Could anyone please recommend a reliable place that hires motorbikes with support services apart from Negombo-motorcycle-tours as I have read mixed reviews of them and they seem to cancel booking quite frequently. We have both ridden in other asian countries and the chaos, while daunting doesn't phase us.

Thanks to all :)

66 replies to this topic
Zurich, Switzerland
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Motorbike hire

Hi

I did rent XR 250 when I was in Sri Lanka for 2 weeks

One day its cost me 20 USD

For 14 days I paid 270 USD

Its help me to discover Sri Lanka 2 weeks with motorbike

If you want PM me I will send the contact from the guy in Negombo

Where I rented the bike

Best regards

Martin

Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Motorbike hire

Hi Martin,

please give me the details of your guy, my wife and I are arriving in December and want to hire a bike for 3 weeks. Will by British license be sufficient or need I get an international one too?

Thanks

Chris

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Motorbike hire

You will need an international driving license attested by AA in Colombo.

Hans

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Motorbike hire

Maurice

Here is the link to the mob I am using in 2 weeks

negombo-motorcycle-tours.com/motorcycle.html

Suranga has been outstanding with communications and really helpful with everything else. You will need an International licence which you can then send through to Suranga and he will arrange your Sri lankan permit before you arrive,

I am doing 18 days solo and he has arranged an airport pickup, accom at his guesthouse for the first 2 nights, the bike, insurance and licence.

All set to go :-)

Good luck,

Mark

Perth
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Motorbike hire

We ended up hiring 5 bikes from Yellow fleet in Negombo which was an extremely poor choice. Of the 5 bikes all bar one was returned for repairs or in the case of two of them swapped out for other bikes (one of which lasted 7km before being returned again). This interrupted our trip by two days and required a reschedule of the remainder. The proprietor, Hanees promised a return of one days rental but reneged on this at the end of the trip. Hanees was a dim light in an otherwise brilliant trip and definitely the only Sri Lankan to treat us poorly.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Motorbike hire

Chris

FYI the pre-arranged permit costs $20 but saves a lot of mucking around when you get there.

The honda 250 Baja is $25 per day including insurance. By all reports they are very well maintained and Suranga has a very good support network around the island in case you have any trouble.

I don't mind paying a little bit more for reliability and peace of mind.

Only 10 days to go before my trip. Getting excited.

Good luck

Mark

Dubai
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Motorbike hire

Great video,, and very useful. Thanks

Edited: 03 October 2013, 18:59
18. Re: Motorbike hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 01:05

Helsinki, Southern...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Motorbike hire

Had a very disappointing experience with Sha Lanka.

The new 650cc Enduro was replaced with old and faulty 250cc with a mountain of excuses. Price was to be almost the same though... I had confirmed the day before and everything was in order.

Recommend avoiding!

Colombo, null, Sri...
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Motorbike hire

If you have not contacted Chinthaka yet, let me known i am in contact with him as we are business partners for Motobike Tours Sri Lanka.

Reply to: Motorbike hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted