We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya

England
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Could anyone confirm if there is a train that travels from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya and the timetables etc?

How long is the journey and can i book in advance to secure a seat as i understand that Christmas/New Year period is a bust time of year.

Thanks in advance:-)

Andrew

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Hi Andrew,

The nearest train station to Nuwara Eliya is Nanu Oya - about 4 km from Nuwara Eliya.

1st class observation car can be booked in person from Colombo Fort railway station up to 10 days before travel. 2nd & 3rd class can't be booked in advance.

You can find timetables here:

http://www.railway.gov.lk/index.php

Hans

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Hi Andy,

When checking that route, look for Peradeniya to Nanu Oya.

Peradeniya is a sort of suburb to Kandy and Nanu Oya is the station that serves newara Eliya,

The one that I usually catch is scheduled for Peradeniya 08:40 arrive Nanu Oya at 12:27

The next one is peradeniya 12:23 arrive Nanu Oya at 15:55

I've caught the earlier one many times and without fail, it's been late. usually arriving about 9 AM or just after.

If you're starting from kandy, you can get a tuk tuk from there to Peradeniya or , there's a shuttle train from Kandy station at 08:25 for the 5 minute or so run to Peradeniya.

Rod.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Yes, the only bookable seats are in the Observation Car (1st Class) but there are only about 28 seats and I think a fair number of these are taken by people travelling on railway warrants. As Hans says, the tickets must be obtained from Colombo Fort Station up to ten days in advance. You do not have to go in person, someone else can get the tickets for you but be warned they go pretty quickly. I once went nine days before I wanted to travel and they were already gone. The booking office also closes at around 2pm. As you can see, getting a ticket is not made easy.

The 8.40 am train from Peradeniya is called the Podi Menike. On my most recent journeys is was bang on time and it does not wait around. That said, trains are often late and perhaps I was just lucky.

Trains always seem to be crowded. It is a very cheap way to travel - less than buses - and at holiday times they get very busy.

However, worth the effort for the views, not just the scenery but the life going on beside the tracks.

David.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya

Hi,

Also worth it for life going on inside the train as well David.

I love the buskers, the wadiwadimen , the kids whooping , whistling and hollering every time the train goes through a tunnel . All part of the tapestry.

Rod.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya

You get more of a feel for the atmosphere in the way that Rod describes, if you travel second or third class. That way, you are with the locals rather than sitting, rear facing too, at the back of the train in a carriage which can feel detached from the rest of the train.

I have, however, had one nightmare "holiday time" journey this way on a Friday in the August holidays, all the way from Badulla to Kandy, where there wasn't room to stand, let alone the chance of a seat, as it coincided with all the locals travelling with their families for the weekend but normally, it is blissful. I like to sit by the open door, my feet hanging out (it doesn't go very fast!) and getting the best possible view of everything that's going on, both inside and outside of the train. Not only that, you can choose when you want to travel and do not have to worry about booking a ticket ahead of time .. and it's SO CHEAP!

Sue

6. Re: Train from Kandy to Nuwera Eliya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 15:18