We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refining the end of my 15 day itinerary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
574 posts
82 reviews
51 helpful votes
Refining the end of my 15 day itinerary

Hi, all,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading extensively and would appreciate some feedback. I'm planning a 15 night trip next Feb 2019 as part of a 5 week trip which will also include S. India. I've got the beginning of my trip pretty set, but it's the last 4 days that I'm trying to figure out. Our trip begins in S. India, then fly to S.L, and then fly back to Mumbai, where we will spend the last few days of our trip.

Following 16 nights in S. India, we fly to Colombo, and have a 15 night itinerary planned for SL. I'm trying very hard to minimize 1-night stays and not overwhelm ourselves with stops, since it is a long trip and we will be on the road a lot. Hotels are pretty much figure out, so I don't need help with this. I'm working with an agent who will also arrange for car and driver.

I'm anticipating a late arrival (early evening) in Colombo, so Negombo is essentially a stopover. I'm planning on the flight from Colombo to Mumbai at 4:50pm (16:50).

15 nights, arriving in Colombo, staying in Negombo

1 night - Negombo

2 nights - Jims Farm Villas/Matale (this is mostly for R & R)

3 nights - Habarana

2 nights - Kandy

3 nights - Ella/98 Acres

-----

Here's where I get stumped; I have 4 more nights, and need help in deciding which version of the end should I do. Points to know:

1) I definitely want to stay at least 2 nights in Galle Fort (Fort Printers). We are city folk and this appeals to me.

2)If possible, I'd like to visit or stay on one of the beaches. We are not huge beach folks, so this isn't a priority, but it does seem like a nice way to rest up and relax at the end. We are not into water sports or anything intense.

3) I have little interest in actually seeing Colombo, but it is more convenient to the airport. I'm curious about the Galle Face Hotel but the only reason I want to stay is to eat in Ministry of Crab. But that's not enough of a reason!

4) I'm anticipating a late afternoon (4-5pm flight) from Colombo to Mumbai so it's really possible to drive 2 1/2 hours prior to a flight

Which itinerary?

Itinerary #1

1 night - Southern Beach resort

2 nights- Galle Fort

1 night - Colombo

(Pros: I get the flavor of the beach, the time in Galle Fort, and we have a relatively easy drive to the airport; Cons: too many places with 1-night stops)

Itinerary #2 (In ways, I think this is the best option)

3 nights - Galle Fort

1 night - Colombo

(Pros- we can visit one of the closer beaches from Galle Fort and we still have a relatively easy drive to the airport. I've also consolidated the number of stops; Cons: We don't get the flavor of really lounging in a beach resort and fully chilling out).

Itinerary #3 - (I lean toward this one, but am not at all sure)

2 nights - Southern Beach resort

2 nights - Galle Fort

(Pros: Relaxing time at a beach resort and I've managed to consolidate the number of stops; Cons: longer drive ( 2 1/2 hours?) to airport)

Thoughts/feedback most welcome!

Many thanks!

Paule

5 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65,777 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
1. Re: Refining the end of my 15 day itinerary

Itin 3, Colombo is boring. Erik

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
574 posts
82 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Refining the end of my 15 day itinerary

Thanks, Erik. I’m glad you wrote - I’ve been reading many of your comments and I was hoping you’d chime in.

My big concern has simply been the long drive from Galle Fort to the airport before the flight, but your feeling is that it’s not an issue? We will have a car and driver.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65,777 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
3. Re: Refining the end of my 15 day itinerary

No as using Expressway it's 3 hours only. But it means replacing M of Crab by another seafood place, maybe Galle...

E+S

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
574 posts
82 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Refining the end of my 15 day itinerary

Many thanks! I’ve decided on #3. The restaurant is a nice idea but not essential.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
574 posts
82 reviews
51 helpful votes
5. Re: Refining the end of my 15 day itinerary

To all agents; please do not send me private messages. I have an agent I'm working with and am satisfied with their services.

Reply to: Refining the end of my 15 day itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted