We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
105 reviews
Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

Hello. Am I best doing my money conversion in Australia or waiting till I am in Malaysia and if wait where is safe there?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

Convert sufficient amount for food and taxi fare,then the rest>

Do it in Malaysia,better and more competitive rate at KL, Bukit Bintang street.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
150 reviews
2. Re: Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

Convert the Minimum Amount allowable in Australia, usually $A250, and then do the rest in Malaysia. You will get a much better exchange rate. Use licenced money changers.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
3. Re: Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

G'day,

possibly can advise,here is the going exchange rates for AUD in Malaysia

i) from licensed money changer in KL:- AUD1.00 buys you RM2.80

ii). from a commercial bank BDC - AUD1.00 buys you RM2.6920

iii). from another commercial bank BDC- AUD1 buys you RM2.7090. Kuwait finance house, BDC in KLIA2 if you are coming in with AAX (D7).

Back home, you should be seeing like your AUD1 buying around RM2.5821 to RM2.6076.

Be careful,if you intend to change with money changer back home, their rates that they advertise entice you first,but only when transaction is done, there is compliance fees + service charge.

To complement ,suggest getting a ATM debit card ,though check first beforehand on associated fees and charges for ATM overseas withdrawal,and that it is activated for overseas withdrawal.

Similar to above,if using credit card also, do please inform issuing bank of your travel dates in Malaysia,and when using credit card, ensure transaction is done in RM,and not AUD (DCC matter).

Edited: 12 February 2015, 13:29
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

I've never exchanged money prior to arriving in Malaysia (or any other country). First stop is an ATM at the airport where I use my Citibank VISA Debit (linked to the no international fee Citibank Plus account) to pull an initial amount of cash (about 500RM) - with that I get my SIM, top-up my MyPass a bite to eat and transport into the city. Exchange rates this way is basically bang-on the inter-bank rates shown on www.xe.com/ucc. Money changer rates can sometimes be better, but other times my bank rate is better.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

Hi Krystle, in Penang over the Christmas period I changed cash twice, once at 2.79 and once at 2.80. Also withdrew 300RM at the airport ATM which I calculated to be just over 2.6 after taking all bank fees into account. Was only slightly higher than the airport money changers' rates, not enough to worry about with a small amount. Obviously if I'd withdrawn more the rate would have been a little higher again as the ATM fees would have been the same. The airport in Melbourne was only offering 2.5XX and I'd seen it at a ridiculous 2.4XX at a money changer in my local shopping centre a few days earlier.

Best not to change anything until you get to Malaysia.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

A fee-free card is a must if relying upon ATMs for cash otherwise say goodbye to 2.5-4.5% of every withdrawal. (Based on most Australian cards)

Edited: 14 February 2015, 17:16
7. Re: Money conversion - do in Australia or in Malaysia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2016, 16:16