We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Hi

We're having pom pom craze at home and are looking for cheap wool yarn. The cheapest I found here is S$5.50 (about RM13). Unfortunately, my fav craft supply go-to Daiso here doesn't stock yarn suitable for pom pom.

I'd like to know if there are shops that sells wool yarn much cheaper than RM13. The areas that I'm looking are:

In KL - KLCC, Bukit Bintan, mid valley

In Penang - gurney or Batu Ferriangi (not in Georgetown - even with GPS we're so good at getting lost.)

In Malacca - Markota, Jonka area

Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Hi

Acrylic is ok too. I just realised that the one I bought for $5.50 is acrylic. Haha I know, very blur. I guess any yarn is ok, as long as its good for pom pom.

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

You can check out these two shops located at Sungei Wang Plaza. Lily Handicraft on the Ground floor and Jet Sun Trading on the Lower Ground Floor. I have bought products from Lily Handicraft and they have a good selection of yarn and also wide range of labels and price.

KLCC doesn't have any shop which sell yarn. The only place near KLCC which I can think of is Ampang Park Shopping Centre which do have shop selling knitting materials. There is one shop Haby & Wools located on the 3rd floor. I have not visited this shop before, so can't advise you on the range of products they are selling.

I would suggest you check out the two shops at Sungei Wang Plaza first as they are more convenient to get to.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
175 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Hi

You can find variety of wool yarn in Jalan Masjid India. A lot of textile materials. Head to Semua House as its more convenience and air-conditioned.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Thanks Hippo338, SW is quite close and convenient. I'll check it out when we go to KL. been there only once b'cos there are so many shops I get confused. Thanks for telling me the shop's name, it'll be easy to search. :-)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Thanks Tafe A. I'll check out the place if we're in the area. :-)

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Shopping in Gurney Plaza & Queensbay mall will be marked up due to the high shop front rental.

There are many varieties and I remembered that the cheapest acrylic type of 40 gms ball cost about RM1.80 , but if you purchase in bulk, you may be able to get them at a better price.

There are 3 shops in Georgetown and use Komtar as your landmark and locals will be able to give you directions.

1) Sin Seng Lee in Penang Road (Tel: 604-2613813 ) is easy to get to as it is near Komtar, Traders hotel and Gama supermarket.

From Traders hotel , turn right and walk 1 min towards Penang Road , along Komtar sidewalk until you reach the traffic light intersection. (Jalan Magazine/ Penang Road). Once you reached the intersection, DONT cross the road. Turn right and continue (along Penang Road) for 20 meters or so and you will reach Sin Seng Lee.

2) Sin Soon Lee is in Rangoon Road

3) Opposite Sin Seng Lee is another shop but I cannot recall the shop's name.

Happy shopping

Edited: 14 November 2012, 18:15
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Hi Cassandara,

RM1.80. Wow! That's a very good price. Really tempting to try a trip to Komtar area. Thank you so much for detail directions. If we're feeling brave, we'll definitely take a trip to Komtar area.

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

Cheap 100% Cotton Crochet Yarn is available for those who wish to learn crochet with low budget. Kindly go to:

www.ebay.com.sg/sch/sparklingcreative/m.html…

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

To all crochet lover,

If you wish to find cheap crochet yarn, kindly refer to the link below:

www.ebay.com.sg/sch/sparklingcreative/m.html…

It has 100% cotton yarn for sales. It is suitable for those beginner who wish to learn crocheting.

From,

SparklingCreative

10. Re: Where can I buy cheap wool yarn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 16:18