We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

Liverpool
Level Contributor
78 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

Hi all, we are hoping to catch the train from Butterworth to Kuala Lumpur and where wondering how much this would cost approx and also is this an ok way to travel?

Thanks everyone

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,122 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

Hi

Ok way to travel? depends on what you see as ok, for us its slow and not very exciting way to spend 8 hours. Flights if booked earlier are much cheaper. Rail prices are between £4-20 depending on what class you travel!

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

Hi

We are also interested in taking the overnight train from Butterworth to KL but I am having diffculty in finding the site to book. We won't be in Penang until 2 days before we want to catch the train. Can anyone help with some advice and/or feedback on the journey itself?

Cheers.

melaka
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

HI,

train website

KTMB.COM.MY

if no holiday, there will be many seats available on the same traveling day

brussels
Level Contributor
82 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

For all international train travel, www.seat61.com is your best friend.

To reserve a ticket for Butterworth to Bangkok train, all you have to do is send an Email to Malaysian railways with dates, train numbers, class, etc etc. Further details are on the seat61 website.

You will receive a reply a few days later with reservation details. You can pick the ticket up at major stations in Malaysia, that is how i did it, anyway for a trip in 3 weks time. I pick up tickets at Kuala Lumpur Sentral for the Buterworth to Bangkok trip.

You cannot book this from the Malaysian railways website, only by Email or telephone. But you see the wagon layouts if you attempt a booking, best to book for middle of wagon. I always go second class slepper, cheap and sociable.

Saying that, the Buterworth to Bangkok route is much more expensive than other Thai railways routes, i cannot remember the exact price, but it is around 120 ringitts.See the seat61 for exact price.

brussels
Level Contributor
82 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

To reserve a ticket for Butterworth to Bangkok train, all you have to do is send an Email to Malaysian railways with dates, train numbers, class, etc etc. Further details are on the seat61 website.

You will receive a reply a few days later with reservation details. You can pick the ticket up at major stations in Malaysia, that is how i did it, anyway for a trip in 3 weks time. I pick up tickets at Kuala Lumpur Sentral for the Buterworth to Bangkok trip.

You cannot book this from the Malaysian railways website, only by Email or telephone. But you see the wagon layouts if you attempt a booking, best to book for middle of wagon. I always go second class slepper, cheap and sociable.

Saying that, the Buterworth to Bangkok route is much more expensive than other Thai railways routes, i cannot remember the exact price, but it is around 120 ringitts.See the seat61 for exact price.

You CAN fly for cheaper than than this during sale times, but regular prices for AirAsia are usually more expensive, but, yes, take 2 hours to fly to Don Muang airport, Bangkok, but you are on holiday, have an experience!

If you arrive on Penang 2 days before, there is a small ticket office at the Port that where you take the ferry to Butterworth from. But mention the fact that you are arriving in Penang only 2 days before thetain journey in the booking EMail to Malaysian railways, they will almost cetainly allow you to pick up the ticket at Butterworth on the same day OR at the Penang ferry ticket office..

Edited: 11 November 2012, 15:22
brussels
Level Contributor
82 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

Ah i am embarassed, i did not see Kuala Lumpur, please excuse the 2 posts below, ( why 2? ).

Yes you can reserve the Buterworth to KL seats/berths from the Malaysian railways website and print your own tickets, very convenient.

7. Re: Train from Butterworth-Kuala Lumpur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 20:18