We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

Hi,

I am looking at going to the MotoGP at Sepang in October 2012. I am looking at staying at the Pullman at Putrajaya.

Does anyone know the best way of getting to the track at Sepang?

Also does anyone know of groups of people heading over from Brisbane for this event.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

I'd suggest a taxi would be your best bet. The nearest train station to you is about 3km and then the nearest to the circuit is at the airport that's quite a hike too. I know there are shuttle buses running from KLCC and I think KL Sentral, but this is of no help to you sorry.

Chanthaburi...
Level Contributor
31 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

This will be my fourth MotoGP at Sepang. Each year has varied with transport - as I stay in the city I am leaving from KL Sentral each time.

2009: Bus from KL S, easy trip about 1hr. Absolute chaos for return trip, not enough buses and no system of which bus you could catch. At 7.30pm we gave up and were able to share a taxi - naturally they increase their charges and 150rr was a common asking price

2010: Saw a promotion for 'take the train' so bought tickets. A disaster. Train crammed then not enough buses to get to circuit, took over 2hrs in all from KL S. Return was worse. Dropped at small train station, standard Sunday evening train arrived and was already full, as was the next one. Approx four hours from Sepang to KL S. Never do that again.

2011: Bus. An improvement, this time buses waiting in main carpark, marked queue lines for either LCCT or KL Sentral. Waited about 40min and a slow 90min trip to KL S, sitting on floor of bus they were well over-loaded.

2012: Likely to persevere with bus again, 'grin and bear it' just hope for a good day's racing. The return journey is always worst, roads struggle to cope with amount of traffic, and allow at least 2hrs.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,959 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

Hi

Don't know if Putrajaya is included, but the Air Asia Skybus will be acting as the offical bus carrier for the MotoGP 2012.

Have you looked the webite fo both the Air Asia skybus or the Sepang International Circuits

http://www.malaysiangp.com.my/

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

Did you end up staying at Pullman. I'm staying there as well and going to motogp.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

Sepang Info on circuit and transport

Went to motogp 2012.

Taxi is the easiest way, but make sure you confirm he will pick u up and where.

Taxi can only drop u off at main road, then u need to walk 20mins in the open up the road to the Welcome Entrance, they will block off the road leading up the Entrance.

Food.....very limited. Toilet ok. Shops, depends on event.

The staff are pretty good at directions etc. ticketing a bit slow so get there early.

When the event finishes, this is the disaster part.....

Motogp 2012 it was heavy torrential rain at the end.

Take an umbrella if there is any chance at all it might rain and a waterproof backpack with a spare t-shirt.....

You need to walk back down the road......took around 30mins due rain, there is NO cover. When you get to the bottom, most pickup is based in the petrol station so there are about 50+ bikes trying to refill, and 100+ taxi waiting for their customers and of course half the grandstand people descending onto the petrol station.

You need a phone to contact your driver.

Once you get going, traffic isn't too bad back into KL.

Cool race though even though we ended up completely soaked.

Chanthaburi...
Level Contributor
31 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

My 2012 experience (adding to 2009-2011 in post #2

Went to KL Sentral to catch Skybus to circuit but there were people there trying to taxi-share I took that option.

The Skybus was 18 ringgit one-way, taxi cost 20 per person (80 ringgit); doubt it saved more than 10min.

Return trip - there were free shuttle buses running to the main bus car park area - took one of these and then paid 18rr for Skybus back to city. I hit the timing just right, less than 5min wait and I was on a bus, return trip took 1hr 15 minutes - slow progress esp the first 15min away from the circuit then traffic thinned out. No complaint.

Transport much improved on previous years.

Ticketing - I had bought online through Air Asia site - they offered same earlybird discount as Sepang circuit at 103rr for main grandstand; straight to their Customer Sevice counter for collection they had named envelopes and no queue at all. One minute.

Rain - best to take a plastic hooded poncho/coat - 1.2rr from a 7/11 - or buy at circuit for 5rr. It rains often at this time of year, previous year's races have also been delayed; easy to be prepared.

Food - same contracted suppliers each year, and with 77,000 attending on the Sunday there will always be queues. I eat early - before the Moto3 race, and buy water for rest of day at same time.

7. Re: Going to Malaysia Sepang MotoGP 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 09:19