We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is shopping in Malaysia?

Spain
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How is shopping in Malaysia?

Is shopping in Malaysia similar as it is in Thailand?

We were in Thailand last year and we go there with an almost empty suitcase(just 2 change of clothes in it). I bought all clothes to get dressed during the trip there. As there is so much and so cheap to buy that we didn't want to get overweight luggage on our flight back home.

Do you think is posible to do same in Malaysia? Are there nice and cheap clothes to buy? What about crafts?

Melaka, Malaysia
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

Hi. I've been to Bangkok once and found the shopping there (for cheap clothes especially) very numerous. What do you exactly mean by cheap; are you talking about those clothes sold at the open and street markets or those sold in shopping malls?

In my opinion, for those clothes sold on the markets, you will probably get the same sort of price and quality at selected locations in Malaysia but they are not as numerous as in Bangkok.

You can find a lot of crafts in Malaysia. The Central Market in KL is a good place to start with. There are also many other places depending where in Malaysia you are.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
791 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

Clothes in Malaysia are quite reasonably priced but I think the selection in Thailand is better. Hey, many Malaysians like to do clothes shopping in Thailand (so that tells you something).

As for crafts, Malaysian crafts are slightly different from Thai. The Central Market in KL is one place to go. There is also a Crafts Center in Jalan Conlay.

Spain
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

Thank you very much for your help!

Jae jae, I mainly mean open and streets markets, but a shopping center as MBK in Bangkok it wouldn't be bad... ;)

What do you think about taking little baggage then? Do you think I will find what I will need to get dressed? I mean some t-shirts, blouses.. casual clothes.Or is not worth to do that?

Is malasian size standard small as it is in Thailand? I need a european L or XL for girl.

We will also be in Singapur, before going to Malaysia.

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

Depending where you are going the clothes sizes might be a problem especially if you are tall as the malays are tiny! also in Sabah you do not get the cheap designer clothes which are everywhere in Thai, crafts are good, but again not a brilliant range and you will see millions of the same item everywhere you go.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
791 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

moon5,

Sizes in Malaysia are generally one size below European. Malaysia = L, Europe = M.

You can find clothes up to Malaysian size XL. Size XXL can also be found, but harder.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
791 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

Open/street markets are few in Malaysia during the day. They mainly open at night and are called "pasar malam" but the clothes selection there is not big. There is nothing in KL that is the size of Chatuchak or Suan Lum market in Bangkok.

You'd be better off going to the shopping complexes like Sungei Wang, etc.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

moon5

>>>>Is malasian size standard small as it is in Thailand?

Malaysian size slightly bigger than thai cos of good food.

European sizes slightly not so common but available .

Melaka, Malaysia
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

moon5,

If you are looking to buy lots of clothes while you're in Malaysia, I don't see the need for you to bring many clothes with you when you come then. But bare in mind that street markets are not as numerous in Malaysia so 2 change of clothes might be a bit tight in my point of view.

9. Re: How is shopping in Malaysia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 03:19