We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Solleftea, Sweden
Level Contributor
37 posts
104 reviews
Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Hello,

We are flying into BKK for about 10 days. As a trip within a trip we are planning on leaving BKK and flying to PP for about 4 days. I am sure there is plenty to do and see in those 4 days. My query is, is it possible and worth it to take a morning flight from PP to visit Angkor Wat for the day and fly back to PP in the evening? Taking this trip within a trip will give us a few days in BKK on both ends. I feel we can get a taste of both places in this timeframe, or am I trying to achieve too much?

9 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,434 posts
179 reviews
1. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Although Phonm Penh is an interesting small city. I think it would be a much better idea to spend those 4 days in Siem Reap instead. Much more to see and do there. Flight time is very short so you could easily fit that into your trip plans.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,842 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

+1 for visiting the wonderful temples of Angkor - 4 days is a perfect amount of time for a visit to Siem Reap

check out the info at www.canbypubications.com - just follow the link at the top to Angkor for maps temple info and sample itineraries

Solleftea, Sweden
Level Contributor
37 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this advice.

Solleftea, Sweden
Level Contributor
37 posts
104 reviews
4. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Thank you! This helps my trip. I think we will do Siem Reap instead with maybe a day trip to Phnom Penh.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,842 posts
86 reviews
5. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Hi again Darla

A day trip to PP is quite unrealistic - it's 6hrs each way by bus unless you are prepared to fly. Stick with SR and enjoy exploring the temples and the town

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,585 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Hello Darla H

If this is your first and possibly only trip to Cambodia, then the logical place for you to spend your time is at Siem Reap - Angkor.

In addition to which, a same-day fly in fly out visit to Phnom Penh will achieve very little and, most probably, give you entirely the wrong impression of this very interesting city. Phnom Penh has a lot to offer but you have to take in the city as a whole. In fact, many parts of Phnom Penh are quite beautiful and it's very easy to see just how beautiful it was in the French colonial era if you move freely around the city and avoid spending time in just the tourist ghetto area.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,434 posts
179 reviews
7. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

As you only have 4 days to spend in Cambodia, it is not worthwhile doing a day trip from PP to SR or the other way around. That will just split up your stay and wouldn’t give you any time to see anything except for a brief glimpse. I think you’d enjoy your 4 days straight in SR a great deal more.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,293 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

dont waste a day trip to PP, not worth it,

4 days in sr is fine

2-3 days for temples, 1 day for around town, tour to the lake, Museum ( before u visit Angkor)

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
412 reviews
9. Re: Bangkok to Phnom Penh

4 days is perfect for Siem Reap. Forget about Phnom Penh.

Reply to: Bangkok to Phnom Penh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted