We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambodia Visa

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Cambodia Visa

Most visitors to Cambodia require a one-month tourist visa (US$20), although some visitors enter on a one-month business visa (US$25). Most nationalities receive a one-month visa on arrival at the International airport in the capital city Phnompenh and Siem Reap – a home province of Angkor Complex and at land borders. One passport-sized photo is required and you will have to pay 1 US$ if you do not have one. It is also possible to arrange a visa through Cambodian embassies overseas or an online e-visa (US$25) through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Arranging a visa ahead of time can help prevent potential overcharging at some land crossings.

Those seeking work in Cambodia should opt for the business visa as, officially, it is easily extended for long periods and, unofficially, can be extended indefinitely, including multiple entries and exits. A tourist visa can be extended only once and only for one month and does not allow for re-entry.

Cambodia visa could also get at Poit Pet border gate with Thailand when you drive in from Thailand or at Chau Doc when you border gate with Vietnam by the boat trip from Vietnam) or from another border with called Moc Bai or Bavet in Cambodia. The Visa fee from these place is 23 US$ per persons for Single entry.

Visa extensions

Visa extensions are issued by the large immigration office located directly across the road from Phnompenh International Airport.

There are two ways of getting an extension (one official and one unofficial) and, unsurprisingly, the time and money involved differ greatly. Officially, a one-month extension costs 35 US$, three months 65 US$, six months 125 US$, and one year 200 US$, your passport will be held for 25 days and there will be more paperwork than a communist bureaucrat could dream up. This is fine for expats with an employer to make the arrangements, but those on their own really need to go unofficial. They do not call it corruption in Cambodia but “under the table” and you can have your passport back the next day for the inflated prices of 45 US$ for one month, 80 US$ for three months, 165 US$ for six months and 265 US$ for one year. Once you are one of the unofficials, it is pretty straightforward to extend the visa ad infinitum. Travel agencies and some motorbike rental shops in Phnom Penh can help with arrangements, sometimes at a discounted price.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambodia Visa

Well done for posting this...hopefully people will read it instead of constantly asking the same question in a new thread.

I would just like to point out that the 'Business Visa' is actually called an 'Ordinary Visa' on the visa application forms. You are only authorised multi-entry/exit if you extend your ordinary visa for 6-12 months, 1 and 3 month extensions do not allow for multi-entry/exit.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambodia Visa

*bump

K E
Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambodia Visa

Stupid question here - is it possible to get an ordinary (business) visa via land crossing...as in crossing the border via bus from Thailand to Cambodia or do they only issue this particular visa at airports?

Thanks in advance - and thank you for the great post!

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
13,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambodia Visa

Yes. Both Tourist and Business/Ordinary Visa types are available at all International Border crossings in to Cambodia. Just be very specific about the visa type you want - both on the application form and orally. Personally, I always write the words "Business Visa" on the dotted line on the form then no doubts when being processed.

The Business/Ordinary Visa gives me a lot of flexibility.

I used to get my visa extensions in person but it simply is not worth the time and effort involved so in recent years I've just used the services of my regular local travel agent 5Oceans Co Ltd at building number 147 in Street 51 (Pasteur Street) at junction of Street # 208.

Best regards. Ian

K E
Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambodia Visa

Hey Ian

Thanks a bunch, for some reason I thought I could only get the business visa at an airport, but if I can get it at a land crossing even better.

Thanks again mate :)

Surfers Paradise...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambodia Visa

Hello, thanks a lot for the detailed info. But I just heard from a travel agent that visa on arrival for cambodia has been stopped? Is it true?

I intend to travel to siem reap early september, very anxious about visa.

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambodia Visa

As of last week the Cambodian VOA is still possible. I would be asking your travel agent to provide evidence, sounds as if they are feeding you a line of BS.

Check this website for detailed info: cambodia-airports.com/index.php…

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambodia Visa

Hello, thanks a lot for the detailed info. But I just heard from a travel agent that visa on arrival for cambodia has been stopped? Is it true?

I'm in Phnom Penh right now and I entered with a visa on arrival at PP airport. It is the second time I have been to Cambodia and both times I have used VOA. I'm not sure where your travel agent got their information from, but I can't see the VOA being abolished. It's a very easy and quick process.

Surfers Paradise...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambodia Visa

Many thanks for the updates, truly appreciated it. But I will be arriving at Siem Reap, not PP, I guess it will be the same. Thanks again.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 12:50
Surfers Paradise...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambodia Visa

I acutally phoned up the embassy and inquired, they confirmed there will be landing visa at international airports, I guess the travel agent was trying to confuse me, or may be to get his commission for applying visa at the embassy. Have a nice trip!