We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

Will flight option work with enough time to transit?

6PM/18:00 arrive at 19:00/7PM from REP to PHN via Cambodia Angkor Air

9PM/ 21:30 depart from PHN to SIN: via JetStar

Is there enough time? US passport, no checked bags.

Side note: I have a normal-size backpack that was free-carry on for RyanAir, Norwegian, etc. Will it work for these airlines too or extra$$ for baggage that is not a purse or camera?

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

Hello Amber K

You have more than sufficient time.

In fact, with only your walk on backpack you will have a two or three minute walk from your PNH arriving flight around the front of the PNH terminal building and in to the flight check in hall. In fact, because flight check in counters only open for flights exactly two hours prior to flight departure time, you will have a wait of almost half an hour before you can check in for your flight to SIN.

So. Not a problem at all.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

Thanks Angkotlad. I appreciate it !

Based on your experience, I have to ask you if you have suggestion on the following ways to get from Cambodia to SIN. I have a flight leaving in the morning so would like to be at SIN airport by nightfall.

1) Bus from REP to PNH - SIN - $70 I ruled it out due to bus ride , bus-terminal airport changes and chance of missing flight due to bus problems and not much price difference!

2) REP-KL- SIN : $90, Flight leaves at 3pm flight from REP to KL

3) REP-Phnom Pehn- SIN: $114. This flight leaves at 6pm so I will have most of the day to spend in REP which is a bonus. Its $25 more but oh well.

Is there any delay in Cambodia Air flights normally? I don't want to miss my connection since it's two separate tickets.

CheerS!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

Hello again Amber K

Sorry, but I can't help you with SIN. Other than to say that I've lived and worked there several times.

These days my flights are virtually all with TG/TG Smile from SYD to PNH or REP and via BKK.

Others will have to advise you about SIN.

CAA Cambodia Angkor Air has been known to delay or cancel flights and I've experienced this on two occasions.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Edited: 15 May 2018, 09:32
Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
20,034 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

I suggest you just book a Fly-Thru ticket with AirAsia so you will have a ticket with all the rights and privileges as a connecting flight passenger rather than gambling with 2 separate tickets. To book a Fly-Thru ticket just put REP as the origin airport and SIN as your destination.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

I too would urge a 1 single ticket journey REP-SIN. If no direct flights on ur day then airasia flythru via DMK or Malaysia Airlines via KUL if they operate REP-KUL on ur day of travel (would be my preference in absence of a direct flight).

Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

Thank you. Two separate tickets will cost $40 less, or i can buy direct REP=SIN for $125 ( no connection, no flight through). Fly through is $130 so just as expensive as direct.

I'm inclined to save $40 because of arrival visa to Cambodia ($30 for 4-5 days max) and other costs...so how likely is it that something will go wrong? I have a 10am flight the next day from SIN to USA...so if I take a late night flight from KUL-SIN with 3 hour window, Air asia isn't known for delays or just flat out cancellation of tickets...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

You're willing to risk an intercontinental connection for $40?! Believe me, you want to be guaranteed in SIN the day before. The best guarantee is a direct flight rep-sin. The more variables you introduce the greater the chance something mucks up. And think of the price of a new walkup ticket home if you do, on the slightest of odds, miss that connection.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 07:01
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?

I completely agree with your assessment. I appreciate your advice very much.

This is for reference purposes only but I felt more comfortable taking 2 tickets bc. my flight doesn't leave until 10am next day (no checked bags), and if I couldn't get from KUL to SIN at 9pm, there is a 11pm (diff airlines) and also 6am flight next day (air asia ) that can put me in SIN by 7am. But cost of those flights at walk up can be $$ too! Air asia isn't known for problems, and what's the chances that a direct flight runs more smoothly? At the end of the day , GUARANTEE is the most important $40 vs. the risk of new ticket (my Int'l ticket is nonrefundable to boot!)

anyways, I will have a long lay over in SIN for over 15 hours. I know that airport is comfortable place so sleep or rest. I shouldn't be too worried about discomfort (if on the cheap budget and don't want to rent a room/rest lounge)?

Edited: 16 May 2018, 13:54
Reply to: REP-PHNOM PENH-SIN: 2 separate tickets, enough time ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted