We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reach out volunteers Cambodia/Thailand

1 post
Save Topic
Reach out volunteers Cambodia/Thailand

Planning to be in Cambodia/Thailand with ROV is that safe for an 18 year old girl? What are recommendation? What kind of vaccines does she need to have before and after trip? Please help

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reach out volunteers Cambodia/Thailand

Hello Juan M

Please post an online link to this organization.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,515 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reach out volunteers Cambodia/Thailand

I've just looked at some reviews for the Cambodia program - given that it includes things like a massage, entrance to a ladyboy show, a cooking class and a goodbye party I have to wonder what benefit are the local communities actually getting.

If your daughter genuinely wants to help she should get some skills & qualifications that can really benefit the community and be prepared to spend 3-6months (minimum) with a credible organisation. I don't see this organisation' as anything more than a glorified tour company looking to part young naïve kids (or their parents) from their money in return for a feel-good bucket-list ticking 2 week holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reach out volunteers Cambodia/Thailand

Hi Juan

Quite apart from safety and innoculation concerns, I think it’s important for you to do some research about this organisation. Voluntourism is far too often beneficial to the organisers and adds nothing to local communities and there are times when it does more harm than good. Far too often the only end results are nice injections into the pockets of the people who run such programs and give the “volunteers” a warm fuzzy feeling.

Please take the comments and advice given by Helen in post 2 very seriously. She is absolutely right. My advice is for your daughter to avoid this.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reach out volunteers Cambodia/Thailand

Although you asked about safety (yes will be safe) and jabs (go see a medical professional/clinic with tropics experience) the discussion has justifiably turned to participating in this lowest form of voluntourism.

The best way to evaluate the opportunity, especially the week in Cambodia is to perform the following exercise:

Close your eyes on this Mother's Day and recall your daughter as a developing vulnerable school child. Then imagine that she is continuously exposed to a stream of organised groups of vacationing foreigners, paying money to an intermediary, coming in and out of her school to perform odd jobs, build facilities with no construction experience or licensing and interacting with her and her classmates. How long would you wait before contacting someone about this crazy practice?

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reach out volunteers Cambodia/Thailand

Very well said, Lenny. Thank you.

Reply to: Reach out volunteers Cambodia/Thailand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted