We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Otres Beach or Kep

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Otres Beach or Kep

My husband and I are spending 3 weeks travelling around Cambodia and South Vietnam in November. We currently have 3 nights booked at Otres Beach (staying at Woodys) but, having read about the rubbish, noise etc in the area, I'm thinking about changing this to Kep. Does anyone have any views on which may be the better option?

This is intended to be the "relaxing on the beach" section of the holiday. Other than this, we are travelling to Phnomn Pehn, Siem Reap, Kampot, the Mekong Delta and then we have 1 night in HCMC before we fly home.

8 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
294 reviews
1. Re: Otres Beach or Kep

I haven’t been to Otres but did visit Kep on a couple of occasions. It is a nice enough place and worth a visit but I don’t th8nk I would go just for the beach which was just OK. There is a lot of interesting stuff between Kampot and Kep - some photos and detail of our time thereon our blog @ https:/…

If just looking for some relaxation rather than just abeach, there were some nice places right on the river upstream from Kampot.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Otres Beach or Kep

Otres is a great place to spend some beach time. Yes, there is rubbish along the beach road as collection is not regular, but that is common throughout much of Cambodia.

Most of the beach area is kept clean and we spent 2 weeks there in January and had no experience of any rubbish in the water.

The beach sunsets are idyllic and the overall vibe is relaxed with plenty of choice of places to eat and drink.

If staying at Otres1, try and select a guesthouse away from the Otres Corner / Last Hippy Standing end of the beach as they do have loud music that may effect your sleep. Anywhere from “Pat Pat Guesthouse” to Papa Pippos will be quiet at night.

I can’t comment on Otres 2 late at night but that area seemed to be quieter than Otres 1 so you may not have nighttime noise issues anywhere you stay.

We would go back to Otres 1, however there is constant talk about tearing down all the beachside shacks and if that was to happen it may loose its appeal. It may still be years away though. If you prefer a better standard of accommodation, Otres 2 may be the right choice for you.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,447 posts
169 reviews
3. Re: Otres Beach or Kep

Definitely Otres

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
449 reviews
4. Re: Otres Beach or Kep

Otres will be busy. Kep is spread out and you can find some isolated and quite places. Rent a motorbike while you are there. The beach is not really special.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Otres Beach or Kep

Otres is much longer, busier and plenty more Westerners

Kep beach s a small man made beach and mostly locals, ( especially on the weekend) lots of places to eat fresh seafood.

If ur desire is to be aorund westerners, eat western food, drink in bars, stay at Otres,

Kep, if ur looking for a quiet getaway

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Otres Beach or Kep

We didnt have 1 “western" meal in 14 days at Otres unless you consider BBQ seafood western. There is plenty of good Cambodian food available there. Make sure you try the Pumpkin Curry at Moms Kitchen!

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Otres Beach or Kep

Otres!

The beach is beautiful, the vbe is very chilled and it's not too noisy or busy unless it's a Cambodian holiday. Kep is nice for a day, but IMO Otres is much more enjoyable for multiple days. You don't have to eat western food there. Plenty of Khmer options, but yes, way more western food offered.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Otres Beach or Kep

That seems pretty unanimous - we'll stick with Otres! Thank you all.

Reply to: Otres Beach or Kep
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted