We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

Tampa, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

Hello. I am a US citizen planning a trip to Dhaka in March, and would like to request some help with some questions regarding the airport layout, the time of my arrival at the airport, visa questions, and how to coordinate meeting my guide and the shuttle that the hotel will provide. There are several websites for the airport in Dhaka, but the information contained in them is cursory and unsure which of them are official/non-official. Any help on the below would be much appreciated:

Airport Layout

1. From what I can tell as an international arrival, I would exit the airport on the bottom floor of terminal 2, correct?

3. It appears from the pictures I have seen that, directly in front of terminal 2, there is a rectangular shaped parking lot of about 5-6 rows deep, bordered by a low wall painted in black and white vertical stripes. I believe the first row is separated from the rest by another low wall in black and white. Is this where the hotel shuttle would park while they wait for me to exit the terminal?

Visa question

3. I have read on some websites that I may not require a visa for a stay of <15 days. I will be in Dhaka for only four days. Is this information correct, or should I expect to request VOA?

Time of Arrival--I will be arriving on a Sunday at 8:15 PM

4. If needed, will there be any issues with obtaining a visa on arrival at this hour of the evening?

5. Is currency exchange available at this time?

6. I hear there can be long lines at the airport during peak hours. Will arriving at that time spare me some of the waiting in queues and will traffic be lighter at that point in time? (The hotel is less than 1 mile away from the airport)

Coordinating with my guide and the shuttle to the hotel

7. I understand my guide will not be allowed to enter the airport and will have to wait outside?

8. I would like to get a message to my guide that I have arrived and apprise him of any delays, online via whatsapp, but I will need internet access to make the contact. Is wifi available, reliable and easy to access at the airport?

9. If #8 fails, is there any access to a telephone in the airport?

Thanks for your help, and if you have any other advice or knowledge of any other issues I should be prepared for, for this my first major international trip, your insights are much appreciated.

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
11 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

Hi there

Me and my family travelled there in March. There were only 15 or so foreigners in line for visas as there are not many tourists who go here. We got pulled out of the line after the immigration guy interrogated us and brought to a private room where 2 more people asked us why we were coming to their country. It was more out of amazement that we were coming to the sundarbans with two young kids. They were all very friendly and never once felt threatened. They are just curious. We had to pay for a visa and we were there for 9 days.

Multiple ATMs are out in the main part of the airport terminal. Only our visa worked in the atms not our MasterCard.

With how few tourist there are I wouldn't be surprised if someone met you in the actual airport but we had an acquaintance meet us so I don't know where the buses show up

There is very little info out there so let me know if I can answer anything else for you

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

I am from Dhaka and a frequent user of Dhaka airport. Let me try to address some of your queries:

Airport Layout

1. From what I can tell as an international arrival, I would exit the airport on the bottom floor of terminal 2, correct?

Yes

3. It appears from the pictures I have seen that, directly in front of terminal 2, there is a rectangular shaped parking lot of about 5-6 rows deep, bordered by a low wall painted in black and white vertical stripes. I believe the first row is separated from the rest by another low wall in black and white. Is this where the hotel shuttle would park while they wait for me to exit the terminal?

It could be confusing for anyone. Best to clarify with the hotel where they would wait for you. Its better if you ask the person to wait for you inside the waiting area (within the airport building). Its a paid service, i.e. the person has to pay about 5 dollar (rate may change recently) to enter the greeting area. She/he can easily hold a sign to receive you.

Visa question

3. I have read on some websites that I may not require a visa for a stay of <15 days. I will be in Dhaka for only four days. Is this information correct, or should I expect to request VOA?

Time of Arrival--I will be arriving on a Sunday at 8:15 PM

I don't know the answer.

4. If needed, will there be any issues with obtaining a visa on arrival at this hour of the evening?

They work 24 hours, no issue.

5. Is currency exchange available at this time?

Again, currency houses are open 24 hours. Better to carry some dollar with you, as a backup.

6. I hear there can be long lines at the airport during peak hours. Will arriving at that time spare me some of the waiting in queues and will traffic be lighter at that point in time? (The hotel is less than 1 mile away from the airport)

No, the waiting lines for foreigners are rather always short. BUT BE PREPARED FOR LONG WAITING TIME TO COLLECT BAGGAGE. COULD BE HOURS.

Coordinating with my guide and the shuttle to the hotel

7. I understand my guide will not be allowed to enter the airport and will have to wait outside?

Please see my reply above.

8. I would like to get a message to my guide that I have arrived and apprise him of any delays, online via whatsapp, but I will need internet access to make the contact. Is wifi available, reliable and easy to access at the airport?

Airport has wifi. But no worries, you can get a local sim just after immigration, loaded with data package. Internet is very affordable in Bangladesh with 3G network almost all over the country. Try to get Banglalink or GrameenPhone sim.

9. If #8 fails, is there any access to a telephone in the airport?

I have not seen any telephone booth. But no worries. People are very friendly. You can ask any fellow passenger to make a phone call using his/her mobile. But the best would be to buy a sim right after immigration.

Dhaka Division...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

Hello Chris L,

Welcome to Bangladesh.

You will get on arrival visa. If you like to apply for VOA you can I think you'll get on arrival visa as a us citizen. It would be easier to get you guide in Terminal 2. If you tell your guide to stay inside he can receive you from inside but he has to pay 200 taka. You can exchange money from airport anytime. If you wish you can take money from ATM booth.

Thanks

Tour Guide

Eyasin Papon

Tampa, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

Thanks all for your insights, hoping for a smooth process.

Canterbury, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

eyasinpapon,

hello!,

I am a Bangladeshi British married to a British born in Pakistan. I need to take my husband to visit Bangladesh for the first time to meet my 90 yrs old sick mother before she passes away & also meet our family only for a period of 11 days .He has applied for a Visa now awaiting clearance. The visa officer in London also suggests that we take VOA but then he also said that 90% cases go through. Can that be possible ? &how does he get on the plane. What do we say?. Please please help with your sincerest suggestions. We even had to buy this travel ticket since airlines don't do any RESERVATIONS. Can you give me your phone number so that I can ask more like if he is turned back then does get his passport stamped barring him from entering other countries. He is really worried about it.

me. Then the officer also said that in 90 cases

Canterbury, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

eyasinpapon,

hello!,

I am a Bangladeshi British married to a British born in Pakistan. I need to take my husband to visit Bangladesh for the first time to meet my 90 yrs old sick mother before she passes away & also meet our family only for a period of 11 days .He has applied for a Visa now awaiting clearance. The visa officer in London also suggests that we take VOA but then he also said that 90% cases go through. Can that be possible ? &how does he get on the plane. What do we say?. Please please help with your sincerest suggestions. We even had to buy this travel ticket since airlines don't do any RESERVATIONS. Can you give me your phone number so that I can ask more like if he is turned back then does get his passport stamped barring him from entering other countries. He is really worried about it.

me.

Edited: 24 March 2016, 12:07
7. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 April 2016, 02:46

8. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 April 2016, 02:46

Newquay, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

Hi, when we arrive at Dhaka Airport do we get VOA first then collect our luggage? Or collect our luggage then get the VOA.

Thanks

10. Re: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2017, 04:27

Reply to: Dhaka Airport and Visa Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted