We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HCMC & Hoi An in September

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
HCMC & Hoi An in September

Is it still a good time to visit HCMC and Hoi An in September.

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

Mid Sept through through to the end of October is the rainy and typhoon season in Da Nang and Hoi An. I would visit Hoi An the first week in September, after that you are taking your chances.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

Oh we had wanted to go in July but due to family commitments have to reschedule.

Is August an OK time to visit. We like the hot sunny weather.

Hanoi
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

Hello,

August is monsoon in Vietnam, I am afraid that it is not good for you to take the tour in this month. In Sepetember will be better.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

So September is better. Would I be better going o North Vietnam and visit Hanoi and a beach resort up North.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

We spent 5 days in Hoi an early sept last year. The weather was beautiful with the occasional afternoon thunderstorm/downpour. If you build a trip around the fact that it MAY rain you would not go anywhere. We cannot control the weather so dont let it control you. Just go for it and have a blast.

Enjoy,

Mark

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

I was looking at early September and it's just a quick getaway for 8 days. I agree with the weather as we travel to Thailand every year the same time and this year we didn't have the best weather. I just don't want to get washed away by the rain by restricted by constant down pours - lol.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

Should read 'or be restricted'. Sorry for the typing error.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

You'll find that between August and September there isn't that much difference. Yes, it will rain at some point (sometimes with short term flooding) but very rare for it to be an all day event in HCMC. October / November time is best avoided in Hoi An. Floods most years...just do a search for videos to see how deep.

Going in September though, just go for it. Buy a poncho there...if you really need one. They go up for sale as soon as the rain starts to come down. Cheap too.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 20:48
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

Wanted to do laying by the pool in Hoi An so don't want to much rain

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HCMC & Hoi An in September

Yep, it definitely floods in November. I was there last year and had to climb out the 2nd floor window of the Vinh Hung 3 hotel to get a boat to dry land and then a bus to Danang.

It was still sunny though as the floodwater was coming from upstream. The Hoi anians are so resilient and just moved everything up one level. Truly amazing to watch (and also to help them out) and it was one of my favourite Vietnam experiences.

Good luck,

Mark