We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

hi all, sorry if this question has been asked before but I havent been able to find an answer, I am researching a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia I am thinking about travelling by bus from HCMC to PP, I have found all the details on that, but what I would like to know is how the crossing the border on a bus works. is there a security/customs check point? will the bus stop or is it just checked at HCMC before the bus departs? If figure there will be heaps of secenery to see and lots of countryside to view, is this a good way to go?,I will have plenty of time for travelling so time is not important, or is it better to fly which is quicker but not much to see?

thanks in advance

john

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

The bus is fine and takes about 6hrs. Most buses leave HCMC in the morning and the bus company will walk you through the customs/ immigration on both sides. it's pretty easy and you pay the bus company $25( approx )which gives you a 1 month visa for Cambodia.They tell you to supply a passport photo but mine was given back to me and the bus company filled in the form and even signed the form for me:-)Simple and easy.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

Hi there, The process is simple .Most of the bus companies arrange this for you and there is guide in the bus who will tell you what to do.

So the most common border to cross from Vietnam to PP is Moc bai frontier gate which is about 1,5 hours north west from SaiGon and there will be a check point where you will get off your bus and get your visa for Cambodia( 25 usd for stamp fee). They might change the bus but still same company. Then another 4-5 hours from there to PP. You can book with Mai Linh company or many other bus compnies in Pham Ngu Lao street and they depart daily to PP.

Good luck.

Nhung

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

Hi There Viet1 & mangocruises, thank you very much for your replies, it all sounds straight forward and easy and so much more to see than flying,

I see that on arrival in Vietnam , when purchasing my Vietnam visa that I may buy a mult entry visa, I presume this will be necessay if leaving Vietnam even for a short trip into Cambodia?

I am sure I will have many more questions while planning my trip

thank you again for your time and information

kind regards

john

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

Hello joker4147,

I am a regular traveller between Phnom Penh - Saigon/HCMC and Phnom Penh by bus through the border crossings of Moc Bai , VN side and Bavet, Cambodian side.

Firstly please permit me to set the recod straight for posters number 1 and 2.

The standard Cambodian Tourist Visa, Single Entry, valid for a stay of up to 30 days in Cambodia, costs exactly $20. No more and no less and payable in US$.

Secondly, getting the Cambodian Visa-on-Arrival, which is a genuine Visa-on-Arrival, is simplicity itself. Just complete a very short and simple Visa Application form, produce one (1) recent passport/visa type and size photo of your self and pay the US$20. in exact money on return of your passport with the visa in it.

Couldn't be simpler. No need to pay for others to do it for you at Bavet.

Now to your VN Visa question. Unless you have a dual entry/multiple entry VN Visa your visa is Cancelled on leaving Vietnam. Hence the need for you to have a dual entry/multiple entry VN visa if it is your intention to leave VN and then to re-enter VN. NO valid VN visa to enter VN then NO entry back in to VN. All very simple and straightforward.

Now to the other bit of your question. On arrival at Moc Bai Immigration and Customs area, all pax must get off the bus, claim their bags etc from the bus cargo hold and take it in to the VN processing area where it will be passed through a scanning machine. All bags etc in your posession may be hand searched if required by VN officials but this very rarely happens in my experience. Nonetheless, it can happen.I have been asked to explain item in my bag to those doing the scanning.

I hope that this clarifies things for you?

Best regards. Ian

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

Hi Ian, Now that is the plain kind of lauguage that I like, the way you explain it yes it is all straight forward and smiple and exactly what I had expected and exactly the same as entering most countries, no visa no entry simple,customs have the right to check your bags, ok so thats all good thanks very much

I am very keen on seeing Cambodia, and have done quite a lot of internet surfing to find out as much info as I can, especially Ankor Wat, I think I have found a few hotels in PP that will suit my wife and myself and have a good list of things to see but would it be ok to hire transport out to Ankor Wat and just wander around ourselves, I prefer not to have too much organised like that but perhaps for this, an organised tour and transport may give a lot of info that I haven been able to find myself, any thoughts on this for a newbie to Cambodia??? We have travelled before so its not our first trip away but any advice you can give would be gratefully received

kind regards

john

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

Let me say that the tour operators con people into doing the visa for them hence the extra $5 usd fee. I refused and did it myself. They try to scare you and say they will leave you behind but I was finished 15-20 mins before the rest of the bus. Remember the bus# and what the driver and tour operater looks like you have to find them after going through the Cambo visa station. Belly up to the immigration desk cause there's no line....typical for most asian countries.....then on to customs and sometimes medical scan depending on the season.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
727 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

In ALL my trips between here and Cambodia , i have NEVER had to produce a photo .Happy to pay the extra $5 and let the bus boys take care of everything

8. Re: border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 21:19