We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

Good morning ,

Can anyone please advise the best airline/website to book internal flights online FROM Australia for our upcoming trip to Vietnam. We will require internal flights from HCMC to DaNang and DaNang to Hanio in May 2012.

The two websites I have found are the below one:

http://www.vietnamflight.net/

and Vietnam airlines website:

vietnamair.com.vn/wps/portal/en/site/home…

Are these two sites OK for booking our flights online from Australia?????

I also noticed that JETSTAR have flights from HCMC to DaNang but have heard they can be a bit unreliable, any thoughts on Jetstar??????

Thanks very much in advance

Dee

Bundaberg
Level Contributor
1 post
80 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

Seat 61 (hope you don't mind my abbreviating your pen-name) I've been following your website for some time and used it for advice in travelling in Asia since 2006.

I'm planning a trip for 2 couples through Vietnam travelling from Sapa to Saigon and staying in Hanoi, Ninh Binh, Hue then Nha Trang.

Where overnighting is required on the trains, we'd strongly prefer a soft sleeper otherwise a soft seat with air-con would be terrific.

Could I get your advice on my suggested itinerary please, especially the last leg from Nha Trang to Saigon? I've marked our preferred train with an *

28 Apr (Sunday) Hanoi to Lao Cai SP3* (7, 1 or LC1) leaving 21:50

1 May (Tues) Lao Cai to Hanoi SP2* (SP4) leaving 20:05

7 May (Monday) Hanoi to Ninh Binh SE19* (7 or 5) leaving 14:30

9 May (Wed) Ninh Binh to Hue SE19* (SE7) leaving 16:50

[SE7 better for the day viewing but only runs when needed]

13 May Hue to Da Nang SE1* (3 or 5) leaving 06:12

15 May (Tues) SE7 Nha Trang to Saigon leaving 07:42

We've been advised that the Hue-Da Nang and Nha Trang-Saigon legs are the best parts of the trip (hence heading for overnight trips in other places). As your advice doesn't reflect this do you think it's better reviewing this timetable?

We planned to buy all the tickets at one go when we arrive in Hanoi from the Railway Station. Do you think this is a good idea?

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated,

Peter

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

Yes, Hue-Danang is the highlight, all along the coast. SE1 leaves Hue for Danang just after 8am, so would be ideal.

If these dates are mission-critical, and you're set on soft sleeper at night and soft seats by day (so wouldn't take hard sets or hard sleeper if the soft sleepers were full, for example) then better to pre-book, either as your hotel in each place of pre-book through an agency such as www.vietnamimpressive.com or www.vietnamstay.com (for maybe $14 extra per ticket).

If you're reasonably flexible about exact dates or classes, by all means just buy at the station - as long as it's not a key holiuday period, you're unlikely to be stranded, there'susually something available on the route you want.

23. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 May 2012, 02:39
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

They never give up! :-)

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

We booked all our internal flights online (from Aust) with Vietnam Airlines. 3 flights in all - no problems, no delays, excellent airline. Just remember that when checking in for your flights you will need to show the credit card that you used to book the flights.

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

Just noticed the second part of your question. When we were in Nha Trang we met another Aussie family who had booked through Jetstar. Their flight from Hanoi to Nha Trang was cancelled at the last minute and it was 24 hours later before they could get another flight. Word was that Jetstar Asia won't fly unless they have minimum bums on seats so cancellations aren't unusual.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

Hi there, we are a family of four with two young kids (4 and 8). We are travelling in January 13. The following is a draft of our itinery:

1. Hanoi

2. Hanoi

3. Hanoi to Ha long

4. Ha long to ninh Binh (private tfr)

5 Ninh Binh ( spend day in ninh binh and at night take overnight train to Hue on SE19)

6. Hue

7. Take morning train to Danang

My question is I have been in contact with a tour company and they suggest I go back to Hanoi after Ninh Binh to take an overnight train to Hue ( I assume they are suggesting SE1 because of the time on itinery)

However I see this as a waste of time going back.

From Hue I would like to take a morning train to Danang however tour company said this ride is not by them as the ride would be in "terrible condition").

I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations around this.

Many thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

Hi there, we are a family of four with two young kids (4 and 8). We are travelling in January 13. The following is a draft of our itinery:

1. Hanoi

2. Hanoi

3. Hanoi to Ha long

5 Ninh Binh ( spend day in ninh binh and at night take overnight train to Hue on SE19)

6. Hue

My question is I have been in contact with a tour company and they suggest I go back to Hanoi after Ninh Binh to take an overnight train to Hue ( I assume they are suggesting SE1 because of the time on itinery)

From Hue I would like to take a morning train to Danang however tour company said this ride is not by them as the ride would be in "terrible condition").

Many thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

1. Hanoi

2. Hanoi

3. Hanoi to Ha long

6. Hue

Many thanks

Edited: 22 November 2012, 00:44
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Booking Airfair - HCMC to DaNang from Australia

Sack the tour company!

As long as you don't mind using a hard sleeper berth (not really harder than the 'soft' equivalents but with 6 bunks per compartment rather than 4 and therefore more cramped) it would be a complete waste of time returning to Hanoi after Ninh Binh because the SE5 from Hanoi stops at Ninh Binh at 18.06. You will have to book in advance in order to to obtain a berth.

As for taking train from Hue to Danang, that is the most scenic train journey in Vietnam and a definite must do. The SE1, which departs Hue at 08.02, is one of the best trains and definitely not in "terrible condition".