We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

Hi All,

We are going to Vietnam for 2 weeks in May, and so far I have booked out flights from Australia to HCMC. And I have also booked our flights home from Hanoi back to Australia 2 weeks later.

But that is all I have done so far.

We want to see Hue, Da nang and Hoi An, but in what order do you suggest we go about it. We would like to stay in HCMC for 4 days and Hanoi for 4 days. So that leaves about 5 days for Hue, Da nang and Hoi An.

We also would like to fly instead of taking the train.

Any suggestions on intinery would be great. I was thinking of flying from HCMC to Danang and making that our base and taking day trips to Hue and Hoi an ??? any suggustions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance Dee

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

Four days is an awful lot in HCMC, unless you combine it with a Mekong tour. Suggest fly to Da Nang and transfer immediately to Hoi An. It's just down the road and there's really not a lot to do in Da Nang itself.

From Hoi An transfer by car or bus to Hue, taking in the Hai Van Pass on the way. Some people also recommend the train for this shortish trip. Given how short your time is, you probably only need an overnight in Hue. This should give you plenty of time to see the sights.

Once again four days in Hanoi is a lot. Combine this with an overnight cruise on Halong Bay. That's something you don't want to miss.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

Yes I certainly wouldn't make by base in Danang it really is just a large town, whereas Hoi An is an ancient town plus you have the beach just down the road. I would stay in Hoi An and maybe Hue

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

How is your feeling if your planning like this:

Day 1: Arrive in HCMC

Day 2 - 4: HCM

Day 5: Morning flight to Da Nang, transfer by bus to Hoi An

Day 6: Hoi An, noon bus to Hue

Day 7: Hue

Day 8: Morning flight to Ha Noi

Day 9: Ha Long (1D1N)

Da y 10: Bus back to Ha Noi

Day 11: Ha Noi

Day 12: Flight back Australia

That's only something you can preference!

Redcliffe, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

What about two days in HCM and two days in Nah Trang, , then onward? Noddy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I will definitely check out all those options. They all sound lovely! And will definitely be adding a Halong bay overnight cruise to our itinery.

Dee

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
19,428 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

While bus to Hoi An from Da Nang is OK, and bus to Ha Long Bay from Ha Noi is also OK, don't take the bus from Hoi An to Hue. Either go by road back to Da Nang then take the train to Hue, or take a private car/taxi all the way to Hue, going through the Hai Van Pass. The bus goes through a boring tunnel that misses the most scenic bits.

7. Re: HCMC to Hanoi - do we stop Hue, Danang or Hai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 10:15