We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tay Ho Weekend Market

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
48 reviews
54 helpful votes
Tay Ho Weekend Market

After doing some further research (and realising that I could add much more to my limited time in Hanoi) I came across the Tay Ho Weekend Market.

Is it worth it to head out there in the morning, and is it easy to get there (I guess a taxi is needed)? From their website it sounds like they sell a lot of ingredients, but do they serve some nice food to eat there as well? I thought it would be something different to see while in Hanoi (and having more chances to eat something new is always appealing....

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,956 posts
13 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

I haven't visited it yet Scotsman, but it looks good and I would give it a go if I were you.

Even if it doesn't hold your interest for long and there's not a lot of cooked food on offer, it's nice to be out at West Lake when the weather is good and the market is fairly close to a well-known cluster of Banh Tom Ho Tay eateries.

There's probably a bus route nearby, but I would be inclined to take a xe om.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
20,906 posts
1 review
2. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

Good find Scotsman.

Was going to do a bit of exploring up around West Lake anyway, so might head up there on the Saturday morning and check it out.

Found a couple of other markets (more traditional ones) that we'll also have a look at.

Just over 7 weeks to go. :-):-):-):-):-)

Cheers,

Scott

United States
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
94 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

OOOhhhh, a market :)

Now that I planned more days in Hanoi, a market sounds wonderful. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you come back.

Scott, you too - please report back on the "other markets (more traditional ones)".

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,956 posts
13 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

xyz, there are traditional markets galore in central Hanoi, ranging from small pavement ones to much larger affairs with stalls, some housed in a building, some not. There's also the weekend night market from Friday to Sunday, although the goods on sale are mostly junk imported from China.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
20,906 posts
1 review
5. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

I found markets to be one of my favourite things.

Absolutely loved Dong Xuan market. Wholesale market but we were able to buy stuff. Even if you don't, just walk around and enjoy.

Going off some notes l made last week, there's a market in Phuong Hung Street, Chau Long, which is up near West Lake, l believe, and Cho Hom.

I just Googled them and a couple look really good.

Will do some more research in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Scott

Edited: 8 years ago
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
20,906 posts
1 review
6. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

"There's also the weekend night market from Friday to Sunday, although the goods on sale are mostly junk imported from China."

And yes, there's that one.

We experienced it last time, and it was....... good.

Apparently we have to go back again this time.

I'm not sure it will be as good. We'll see......

Cheers,

Scott

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,956 posts
13 reviews
22 helpful votes
7. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

Scott, Chau Long market is near Truc Bach Lake rather than West Lake. It's where I bought my salad veggies when I was staying in the area last November-December. Cho Hom is larger and well worth a visit, especially for people wanting to purchase fabric.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
20,906 posts
1 review
8. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

"Chau Long market is near Truc Bach Lake rather than West Lake."

Ok, l struggled this week to sort my lakes from my lakes.

Is Truc Bach Lake not sort of part of West Lake?

The map l was looking at last week was a little unclear.

But it may have been me. ;-)

Cheers,

Scott

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,956 posts
13 reviews
22 helpful votes
9. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

They're separated by spit of land and a road causeway Scott, and each has its own character. And swan pedalos. :-)

Actually West Lake has several characters as it's huge - about 17 kms, more if you hug the wiggly parts of the new(ish) shore road along the northern part.

Another market worth visiting is Quang Ba Flower Market, but that requires dedication as it's a long way from the Old Quarter and at its bustling best between about 3 am and dawn.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
20,906 posts
1 review
10. Re: Tay Ho Weekend Market

Thanks CB, will do some more map searching.

And just Googled swan pedalos.

Yeah........ umm, probably give them a miss. :-)

Saw the Flower market mentioned the other day as well.

Yeah, 3.00am.......

Bit late, and and a bit early, at the same time......

Thanks again, ;-)

Scott

Edited: 8 years ago
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.