We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
Save Topic
A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

Within the last 6 days we came across 5 different people who either had their cameras or purses snatched by drive by motorbike thieves,or have had their wallet,s stolen by pickpocket.s.

So please be extra careful in the City

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

So not as bad as Dublin then (-:

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

I wouldn,t say as bad or not as bad I would say be aware. But maybe you might have a point in Dublin the thieves who are mostly drug addict,s tend to attack then rob you,different way of relieving you of your valuable,s

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

Thanks for the reminder that we should always be vigilant, I've stopped taking a handbag with me when I go out in any country.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

yes, everyone should take care your valued things when going outside str, this problem is quite common in Hn esp with foreigners

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,172 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

It's not only in Vietnam, I just read this on the Bangkok forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k523…

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

Read this on a Vietnamese newspaper online

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
707 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

We are in Hanoi at the moment & staying at Hanoi Elegance, we walked to New day Restaraunt last night & had my camera in my front short pocket. Wallet & phone in my shirt pocket.

My wife noticed a lady walking alongside me & having a good look, the lady then nodded to a male who was sitting down, he was wearing a blue shirt, he then came up along side of me, this is when my wife made me aware of what was going on. I made them both aware that we were onto them. I feel that if it wasn't for my wives vigilance, my camere would be gone. This was on the corner of Lo Su walking up towards New day.

Apart from this incident, we are having a great time & will report shortly.

Rob

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

Sorry for Dublin, Milan is ok, excluding some train stations and some monuments ...where you usually see more foreign people than italians...

Also in Thailand the islands are pretty safe, always excluding ladyboys disco at 2am....

Vietnam seems to me getting worse year by year, for a problem that the police could easily stop.

Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

The economy is shot, inflation is rampant, people are desperate. On the off occasion I go to the old quarter, I see an endless parade of tourists flaunting their wealth and maybe the locals just can't resist thinking they are a walking ATM.

I'm pretty vigilant these days. If I girl sees me and jumps off a motorbike and wants to talk to me, I'm pretty damn sure she's up to no good. It's not rocket science, you have to look out for your stuff, especially in the tourist areas.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A lot of pickpockets and drive by thieving in Hanoi

Of course it's wise to be vigilant, but speaking as someone who spends a couple of months in Hanoi each year, and sometimes twice a year, I have never had a single thing stolen or been aware of any attempt to do so.

Dress down, don't wear jewellery apart from a wedding ring, don't flash a wallet full of cash and you'll be fine.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 03:07