We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grab question

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
57 posts
61 reviews
Grab question

I'm not much of an app user (a bit of a luddite) and reading my google searches is not clear.

With Grab app, you get a trip cost estimate, yes? Is payment via the app? Or paid in cash to driver? I'm a bit confused.

I will be in Hanoi next week. Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
322 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Grab question

Hi there,

A grab app taxi is very useful to travelers. It shows the amount of money which you need to pay with reasonable price.

Regarding the payment, there is 2 option for choosing, that is directly paid for drivers or paid via the app by credit card.

Cheers

Innoviet team

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
144 posts
2. Re: Grab question

With Grab app, you can get the exactly cost and it's cheaper than taxi cost.

Regarding the payment, you can you credit card or cash with your driver as well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
387 reviews
3. Re: Grab question

Most the time what the app says is what you pay. Unlike the taxi apps.

However, I was charged an extra $10k on a airport trip. I figured this seemed reasonable enough and didn't think twice and took it off the tip I had ready for the driver anyway.

I found the annoying thing with grab was it seemed like you could only 'top up credit card payments so effectively you purchase credits. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to the app so I paid in cash, allowing me to freely tip better anyway. From memory it wanted 100k as a minimum to top up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
387 reviews
4. Re: Grab question

It's not always cheaper than taxi. I found sometimes the taxi to be cheaper but it's hard to say until you take the trip as the taxi apps only gave me a estimate. The estimate was more than the grab but when I finished the trip it ended up being much cheaper than both grab and the estimate.

At least with grab you have peace of mind, personally I prefer the taxi drivers they are pretty good and professional. I can't say the same for grab drivers, especially when you run into trouble.

With a reputable cabbie I found the risks to be lower, however, grab in my opiion offers the best peace of mind and vaule as a whole.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
57 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Grab question

All good info

Thank you for taking the time to reply.....safe travels to all

Reply to: Grab question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted