We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting

I would like to visit as much of Vietnam as I can when I go. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to swing more than 12 days. Is it better to go with a pre-booked tour (and if so which is recommended?) Or go exploring on my own? I will be traveling with my husband. Thank you for all and any help

2 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting

Don't make the common mistake so many first-timers do.... trying to cram in as much as possible. You'll spend more time on the move than sightseeing and getting a real feel for this wonderful country and its people.

Do more research (Travelfish.org is a good place to start) and stick to a single area if you only have 12 days; the south, central, or north.

I'd suggest the north, flying in and out of Hanoi.

I spent almost all of last December up there (3rd visit to VN) and found plenty to see and do: Hanoi, Sapa, Bac Ha, Ninh Binh, and Cat Ba island (cruising around Lan Ha bay where the scenery is the same as Ha long but with far fewer tourists).

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting

Thank you

Reply to: Visiting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted