We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

We are travelling to Hanoi next Thursday and so far all I have booked are the flights to get there. We only have 8 nights in Vietnam and want to do overnight boat trip in halong bay but don’t know what to do with the rest of our time. Was originally thinking of flying down to Da Nang and going to Hoi An for a few days. Would we have time to do this or is there enough to do like visiting tam coc or trang an to stay in Hanoi for the whole time. Thought that as it’s the rainy season in the north might be best to fly to central Vietnam for a few days? Don’t want to rush and want to experience the places we visit as will come back and have longer stay.

Would really welcome any advice and suggestions on things to do/places to visit/experiences to make the most of our 8 days.

Many thanks

Denise

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Da Nang
Da Nang
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
9 replies to this topic
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

Whatever you decide i would only visit one other place as Hanoi can easily keep you occupied for 4 or 5 days including your overnight trip to H Bay. When you arrive in Hanoi just wander through the Old Quarter and see which boat trip suits you best. Or your hotel should be able to recommend something decent as you are staying there and they would not want to disappoint you with an inferior tour.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Old Quarter
Old Quarter
23,687 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Vietnam
Level Contributor
838 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

Hello,

With only eight nights available I would stay in the north. There are plenty of things to do and see in Hanoi, even on rainy days.

Tam Coc is an excellent choice for night or two.

Safe travels :)

Edited: 12 May 2018, 11:43
Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

Could also consider a night or two in Sapa. Easy to book things the day before. Can see what the weather is like and make a decision. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Level Contributor
193 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

I wouldn't spend all the time in Hanoi. With 8 days you could see Da Nang/Hoi An, or Sapa, a picturesque mountain town bordering China.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Da Nang
Da Nang
Hoi An
Hoi An
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

It is better to do only Northern VN in 8 days.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

Thank you for the replies - very much appreciated.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

Hey Denise,

We spent two nights at Ninh Binh which is a few hours away from Hanoi. We loved the place. You can reach out to a local called Alex who owns a home stay there and can help you with planning your time there.let me know if you would like to connect with him.

Hope you enjoy your trip

Regards,

Nivedita

Mentioned in this post
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh Province, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Birmingham, UK
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

Hi Nivedita,

Thank you for the information. We are definitely planning on visiting and staying in this area and would welcome Alex’s contact details. Did you stay in Ninh Binh as I’ve been reading that’s its better to stay in Tam Coc as its prettier. I’m not sure what a home stay is - would you recommend this instead of a hotel? Sorry one more question, we will be getting the train from Hanoi to Ninh Binh and was wondering if staying in Tam Coc what transport links are available?

Many Thanks,

Denise

Mentioned in this post
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh Province, Vietnam
Tam Coc
Tam Coc
2,327 Reviews
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Wirral
Level Contributor
783 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please

Hi Deny7

A homestay is when you stay in the home of a local family. A very unique experience, and you see life as they live it !

regards

bb

Reply to: Would really welcome advice on travel itinerary please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted