We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vietnam

st paul, mn
3 posts
Save Topic
vietnam

We are going to be in Vietnam for 2 weeks and I wonder if it is too ambitious to see HCM City and the Mekong Delta, fly to Hanoi, see Halong Bay, return to HCM City and finish with a couple of days at Siem Reap. Would you recommend trying to arrange a tour? And if so, is there a moderately price tour group you have used? Thanks, Robin

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vietnam

This is way too ambitious! Just going from south to north in only two weeks would be ambitious, but adding in Siem Reap makes it completely impractical.

Although I am a fan of the north, if you are set on going to Angkor Wat then stay in south Vietnam. You could fly into HCMC and spend a few days and then make your way down into the Mekong Delta for a few days, stopping for the nights in Can Tho and Chau Duc. From Chau Duc you can take a speedboat into Cambodia and spend a few days in Phenom Penh and then head to Siem Reap. Four or five days at Siem Reap is ideal, three is the bare minimum.

st paul, mn
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: vietnam

Hi: Thanks so much! I really appreciate the travel advice. Robin

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vietnam

It is perfectly feasible IF those are the only places you want to see - if you fly direct from Hanoi to Siem Reap you can do it as follows:

1. Arr HCMC

2. Spend a full day in HCMC, either do your own thing or take an original tour with someone like Saigon Unseen, XO or Vietnam Vespa

3. Mekong Delta - overnight in Ben Tre

4. Ben Tre-Can Tho, overnight in Can Tho

5. Cai Rang floating market, then return to HCMC

6. Fly HCMC-Hanoi

7. Full day Hanoi

8. Hanoi-Halong Bay, overnight junk cruise

9. Halong Bay-Hanoi, evening flight to Siem Reap if available

10-14 - in & around Siem Reap. This will be the high spot of the whole tour so make sure see as much as you can inc Angkor Wat, Koh Ker, Beng Mealea and also Battambang if you have time.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vietnam

For travel in Cambodia, I have found the following site to be a good source of unbiased information:

http://www.canbypublications.com/

IMO, Phnom Penh might be worth two days and one night if you've never been there. If I flew into Phnom Penh for a one week vacation in Cambodia, I would skip PP and get transport directly to Sihanoukville for two or three days. I would then make my way up to Siem Reap, take in the part of the outstanding complex of temples, enjoy the town, and hotel. SR is worth 3-5 days but more if you're really into the temples and history.

Note the next couple months are typically very wet, at least in the south. I recall paying $50-$75/day for a driver and car and a bit more if you're traveling a long distance. Good luck.

Richard

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: vietnam

You can Land Hanoi first then do a trip to Halong Bay for 2 days/1 Night back to Hanoi and go to Sapa on the same day in the evening night train and stay in Sapa for 2 days then Back to Hanoi and catch a flight to Ho Chi Minh City,the next day you go to Ho Chi Minh City with Cu Chi Tunnels and Tamples then the next day go to Mekong Cruise for 3 days/2 nights at Can Tho - Chau Doc - Phnom Penh and Siem Reap by Boat.

6. Re: vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 14:45