We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

Which Halong Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

My husband and I will be in Vietnam in December 2012 / January 2013. At the end of our trip (mid January 2013) we will finish up in Hanoi and want to go out on a junk (most likely Bhaya cruise at this stage) in Halong Bay.

I have read the various forums and there appear to be mixed reviews about doing this during January. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has gone at this time of year - in particular most of the cruises involve kayaking and outdoor activities, will it be too cold for this? We don't want to travel all that way and find it is too cold to go out of our cabin.

And for anyone who has been at this time of year - who did you use and do you recommend one or two nights.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

Michelle,

I have the same questions as you concerning weather in Halong Bay in January. My husband and I will have a couple of days there before returning to Bangkok and are looking for ideas wrt tour operators as well as return time to Hanoi. Have you had any responses?

Thanks,

Gail

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

I think January is too cold for water activities like kayaking. But that certainly doesnt mean you have to be stuck in your cabin. Bhaya has very nice public space that is heated. Furthermore, with a jacket you can sit outside for some of the time. I think the bay takes on a very eerie quality at this time of the year. Of course, I prefer going when I can swim and kayak. But if its a question of going in January or not going at all the choice is easy-- definitely go. Although you will find frequent posters complaining about Halong, after 12 years of living in Vietnam I still dont tire of going there. I think the scenery is stunning and a quality cruise like Bhaya (or Indochina Sails or Indochina Junks) is enjoyable no matter what time of the year it is.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

Thanks Tecalli. As it is a choice of January or never, we will be there in January. I'm in the hunt for a smaller style boat (perhaps 4 - 5 cabins or less rather than the larger ones) and possibly with sails? Any suggestions? I'm busy going through all of the info on the site, but you may have a favourite. (I have/will look at Indochina Sails, Bhaya and Indochina Junks again).

Gail

HN
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

hi Michelle!

Last year,i went to Halong bay on the last January,the weather is cold,but i felt very interesting with that,I went with my friends(4 persons of all).I could do kayaking,visited some cave,...just your jacket is enough to spaced to that weather,maybe i am young so i think so.

But,i think you can do everything if you like it,

I always share infor to everyone.

Have a good time in Vietnam on January

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
672 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

Hi Michelle, we were on the Red Dragon last year(one night cruise) and only had 8 passengers on it. Thoroughly enjoyed it and went back this year but on the Dragon Pearl as 2 night cruise. Actually I think I preferred the Red Dragon with less passengers although I certainly enjoyed the Dragon Pearl.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

Thanks for your feedback everyone I really appreciate it. It is definitely a case of January or never so from all your comments I can see its still going to be worthwhile. Red dragon is at the top of our list followed by dragons pearl. Did you book in advance or once in Vietnam?

Edited: 24 September 2012, 18:56
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

Bhaya cruise also have 2 cabins boat as well as Indochina sails.

If you don't have choice for the the time of travel then you should go but just prepare some warm clothes when you are in the North.

Cheers,

Nhung

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

I would still go even if it's in Januaray, the Kayaking is a very small part of the cruise, it's the scenery that makes it all worthwhile and it will be very suggestive in January with all the Karsts in the early morning fog.

9. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 September 2012, 19:05
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Halong Bay in January 2013 - Thoughts on the weather

Jan falls on the cold season in Northern Vietnam. But the weather is quite nice. Bhaya is a good boat, but I don't prefer it to Indochina Sails.

Hope u have a nice trip