We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

Hi all, family of 4 looking at a 2N, 3 day cruise option. Like everyone else have read through so much info and reviews on the boats.

We are happy to spend $$ on whichever is the best option. Also have noticed the option of setting sail from the closer Haiphong port as it is much closer and would be much more convenient.

What gets confusing is some people mention the boat name and some the tour name so been trying to match them up. Also don't like the idea of having to move to a day boat so ideally want to stay on one boat for all three days!!! We also would like to have decent sized rooms, balconies and need the chef to be understand how to cater to gluten free.

So we are seeking 5 star, most luxurious and good with mid-late teens. Do not want a boozy boat!

Have come up with the following list - would love if people could comment and let us know which one is the best of the bunch. I'm sure I have missed some of the list. Please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly!!

Ultralux Hera

Signature Cruise Company (? Era)

Indochine Junk (Dragon Legend)

Alisa (think there are two boats)

Orchid (not sure which boat)

Paradise (Not sure which boat)

Thanks so much - planning well in advance I know

Mentioned in this post
Dragon Legend
Dragon Legend
1,258 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
38 replies to this topic
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

Pepper,

You won't find many folks who have familiarity with all these boats.

My advice would be to reach out to Mrs. Cham at Halong Sapa Tours. She will know all of these boats, and others, and set you on the right course. Nguyen Hong Cham (Ms. Cham) can be reached at: sales@halongsapatours.com

Her website is: www.halongsapatours.com

Good luck!

Bill

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

agree with BB on this (hi BB!) - Ms Cham is amazing on her knowledge of all the HB tours (and Sapa FYI, if you're heading that direction too)

Otherwise there was a lady who posted her JBR here and she went on Dragon Legend and it looked pretty good, she did a video of her room if that helps

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Dragon Legend
Dragon Legend
1,258 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

Thanks -i will check out Ms Cham.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

Hey TFG!

That video is priceless! :)

BB

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

Wondering - having looked at some of the cruises, the challenge is finding a 3 day cruise that keep the same guest aboard, a lot seem to have people get out and change after the 1st night...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

BB - hahaha, It does show what the interiors look like in real life as opposed to the photoshopped glamour shots you get from all the boat websites etc.

PP - I'm not sure if the guests change on the 3D/2N? I thought it was only the boats that changed on the second night? If you do a search on this TA forum I'm pretty sure somebody has asked about this before and somebody did mention a few operators that keep people on the same boat for the whole trip.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

PP, I'm not sure of course.

We were on Dragon's Pearl with our kids. More what I would consider a mid-market boat.

Perfectly fine for our needs with kids.

We did 3D/2N and did not change boats or have to vacate the boat. We also went up to Bai Tu Long Bay, which I thought was lovely.

Again though, Mrs. Cham can answer these questions more authoritatively than most posters on this forum who have likely only been on one boat. Like me. ;)

BB

Edited: 14 May 2018, 14:27
Mentioned in this post
Bai Tu Long Bay
Bai Tu Long Bay
776 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

As far as I am concerned, Indochina Junks is the best, and no need for an agency, just contact them directly

NO decent junks take people for 1 and 2 nights, with some leaving after 1 ; as a matter of fact, I never heard of that one before

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

I have. Some put you on a day boat or even load/Unload passengers mid-trip.

Do your research.

I was on Indochina Junks too Larsay, but what other boats have you been on?

Edited: 14 May 2018, 14:55
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)

Yes - lots seem to take people off the boat. Some even seperate the guests based on who is doing a 1 or 2 night cruise. Gets very confusing and I don't know if they all declare what they do. Will check out Indochina as well. Was trying to find cruises other than Orchard that leave from the closer port to Hanoi

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Reply to: Which is best luxury boat (April 2019)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted