We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

Hey I hope someone can help me with my budget.

I'll be travelling to Dalat on 15/06/15 by the sleeping bus (since its recommended by many) and have no idea on how much it ACTUALLY cost. Too much information I’m not sure which to jot down on my notes.

I really do not want to bring too much cash so how much do you all think is enough for a 3 days 2 nights stay? (Transportation, food, etc)

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,786 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

I am pretty sure no one recommended a night bus here (death wish)

$50 a day might be a good budget.

jacksonville
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

I'll be travelling to Dalat on 15/06/15 by the sleeping bus (since its recommended by many)

NO NO NO no one here has ever recommended a night sleeping bus for any traveling in Vietnam. Those are rolling coffins and you have to have a death wish to try them.

Mentioned in this post
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

I stayed in the centre of Dalat and paid 240,000 Dong per night. Depending where you eat it an be very cheap (paid for nice little lunch 12,000 Dong just off the market) and more for restaurants. It also depends where you for drinks. Some of the coffee places near the market cost a bit more, but there are still nice little street cafes.

So it reeally depends if you are on a budget or not - so you could still enjoy Dalat with $30, but if you want to hire a bike etc, $40 or $50 should be sufficient.

And if you have any money left - just change it back to your local currency when leaving Dalat

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

Don't count on getting a decent rate when you attempt to exchange back to your currency. Just make sure you have enough VND left to get you to the airport.

I always take a few million out with me, but I return twice every year.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

Just to add to the others, nobody would recommend a night sleeper bus to Dalat. Too many have already gone over the the edge on that winding mountain road. Flying is the safest but if it's out of your budget range then daylight bus if you have to.

Edited: 10 June 2015, 23:59
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

Dear Scotsman79, since I've booked and paid my hotel for the 2 nights, I guess $30/day is sufficient right?

Hi Jim, thanks for your opinion. I think I can still buy some small souvenirs (key chain, magnets, etc) with the little amount of VND left. What do you think? That doesn't cost a lot isn't it?

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,936 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

Please change your Coach booking to a day Coach. Apart from safety, sleeping buses are incorrectly named- they should be non-sleeping buses. On the money side what has been said is pretty wise.

Cheers Ross

Colorado
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

There was 19 of us travelling from Han Tien ST office, their smallest bus of the fllet,roads is not good at all, lots of pot holes and road repairs along the way. There was a few close calls with 3 bus wide on 2 lane road, my driver was at fault and really put its riders at risk, most of he way he is the middle of the 2 lanes, someone did spoke up and he really did not back down, though we made good time to their office.

That budget is very doable if you don't spend a lot of it on taxi. I rented a bike and explore the surrounding Da Lat area surrounding lake in 5 hours.

You will love city for its cool weather, not much humidity and rainy weather and clean streets.

Mentioned in this post
Da Lat
Da Lat
Lam Dong Province, Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

Last time I travelled by day bus leaving at 8amish from the backpacker area in D1 HCMC & it arrived in Da LAt around 4pm. But it stopped for lunch for 90 mins at a custom made big restuarant with nice toilets. Depends on which compnay you book exactly where they stop & how nice it is. I really enjoyed the scenery on the way. As it's so cheap, I will pay for an extra seat next to me next trip!

Mentioned in this post
Da Lat
Da Lat
Lam Dong Province, Vietnam
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much should I bring for a 3 days 2 nights stay?

I highly recommend you to take the day bus instead of night bus because the mountain road not in good condition. Plus you can view beautiful landscape during daytime !

Dalat is a small town ! The food there not expensive like HCM . So you can considered to visit the night market ! A lot of souvenirs and food there ! ( but not sure is halal or not) . Enjoy your trip !