We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

learning to speak vietnamese

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
learning to speak vietnamese

I love being able to make an effort to speak the local language when I travel.

I realise Vietnamese will be a challenge because of the different tones .

Can some one recommend a program that I can try - internet or otherwise?

I have 3 months to go....

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
47 reviews
54 helpful votes
1. Re: learning to speak vietnamese

I would find it very difficult to learn any Vietnamese through videos. OK, I am not vey good with languages, but I struggle to learn the right pronounciation when friends are treaching me some basic sentences. It is just such a difficult language. Add the difficulty that there are some words with different meanings when pronounced differently, which could lead to some interesting moments.

But good luck, and hopefully you will succeed. And even being able to say "Hello" "See you later" or "Thank You" in Vietnamese will be much appreciated by the locals, and will cause some laughters. They just find it funny hearing a foreigner using Vietnamese words. A great ice breaker....

Phong Nha-Ke Bang...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
227 reviews
157 helpful votes
2. Re: learning to speak vietnamese

Seems Pimsleur has a popular program and there are some free lessons on YouTube.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
3. Re: learning to speak vietnamese

thanks

Japan
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: learning to speak vietnamese

A basic material for foreigners to study Vietnamese language is Tieng Viet 123. You can download audio here http://www.123vietnamese.com/audio/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
5. Re: learning to speak vietnamese

had a look at Pimsleur.

I'm sure it would be great for pronounciation but to see the written word ( and see the accents on all the vowels ) I think will help lock the words in to memory

Edited: 7 years ago
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17,418 posts
84 reviews
71 helpful votes
6. Re: learning to speak vietnamese

I think you should advertise for a native speaking instructor in Melbourne, or maybe just visit the local Vietnamese restaurants on a regular basis.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
7. Re: learning to speak vietnamese

good plan!

8. Re: learning to speak vietnamese

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.