We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam holiday 2014

hervey bay
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam holiday 2014

Is it safe for mother 2x 16yr olds travelling not in tour group. First timers. At this stage my interests r Angkor Wat, I don't really know a lot about Asian countries. Interested in historical sites. What is the best season of year to go not keen on sweltering heat. How long should we go 14 days plenty we could also maybe go check out other cities if not much here.

Thank you everyone.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,421 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

Hi where299

if your main interest is Angkor Wat - pop over to the Cambodian forum

check out www.canbypublications.com (lots of info including maps, sample itineraries for the temples etc)

www.travelfish.org is another useful site

Allow a minimum of 4-5 days for Siem Reap and the temples. Avoid March-May in Cambodia if you want to avoid the stinking hot dry time of the year ... Sept - Feb is the best time

and finally put those kids to work - they can navigate their way round the net so much easier than us oldies - make them earn their trip and by adding to the family itinerary you get to avoid those dreaded teen *eye rolls*

Cambodia is perfectly safe and no need for a tour group - much cheaper and more flexible to DIY

cheers

helen

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

where299-Angkor Wat is not in Vietnam! It is in Cambodia. Suggest that you go to the Angkor Wat forum as this forum is about Vietnam!

Hyderabad, Andhra...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

Hi Hervey bay,

Its safe to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia with kids. I have been travelling around Vietnam and Cambodia alone, its safe here. If you have 14 days and plan to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia, I would like to suggest you the most highlight places to visit in the 14 days. You can join the group tour at each destination so it would be more save for you and your kid.

Day 1. Arrive Hanoi

Day 2. Hanoi sightseeing ( You can go by yourself - or book group tour day trip)

Day 3. Hanoi-Halong bay ( Group tour - more cheap, Glory cruise or Grey Line cruise)

Day 4. Halong - Hanoi

Day 5. Hanoi - Hue World Heritage site by plane

Day 6. Hue Ancient Capital ( Join the group tour in Hue )

Day 7. Hue - Ancient town Hoi An ( Join the group tour in Hue )

Day 8. Hoi An Ancient town

Day 9. Hoi An - Danang - Saigon

Day 10. Mekong Delta Excursion ( Join the group tour in Hue )

Day 11. Saigon - Cu Chi tunnels and Cao Dai Temples ( Join the group tour in Hue )

Day 12. Ho Chi Minh City - Siem Reap ( You can take Mekong Express Bus or flight to Siem Reap)

Day 13. Angkor Wat ( Join the group tour in Siem Reap or Tuk Tuk trip - 30$/ day )

Day 14. Departure

Hope you will have a good trip in Vietnam and Cambodia! Cheers!

Jenny

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

If you follow #3 itinerary you will need a holiday to recover and your kids will hate you

Stick to #1 and #2 learned advice

Edited: 26 July 2014, 03:18
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

Hey,

I think the itinerary of Hatrinh 06 is very good. Join it :)

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

We are going on a cruise to vietnam in 2015, we where due to spend to days docked, but our itinery has been changed to just one day, we are very dissapointed. The reason i was given is that people found vietnam not intresting on previous cruises and wanted a extra day in Hong Kong. A couple of people said vietnam is a dump, i persume they must have stayed in the dock area. Please can anyone en-lighten me.

Thank you

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

Dear Grubbies.

My advice is to pull out of the cruise citing their change as a reason as you had booked on the grounds you had two nights in Vietnam.

Then do a trip to Vietnam instead using this forum to plan your trip.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 05:03
Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

Thank you for your information, but we also want to see the Phillapines so will stick to the cruise.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

Grubbies I would not accept that situation despite what their conditions might say. If you have paid for an itinerary and they want to change it then they must compensate. Offer and acceptance they call it. I would request a refund of the unexpired portion of your cruise get off in VN and find your way home with the money saved. Speak to your Consumer Affairs/Fair Claims Tribunal. Now there's a holiday !!

Cheers Ross

Edited: 30 August 2014, 22:14
Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam holiday 2014

Thank you i have tried twice and not got anywhere, i am now waiting to hear from anybody who has also booked the same cruise and what they are doing about it.