We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card

Aus
Level Contributor
142 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sim Card

I have an Iphone 4 and have had it unlocked here in Aus so I can use it in Vietnam next week.

Will be landing in HCMC. Can anyone advise where to buy a prepaid VN sim card and the best value brand? I want it mainly for sending txt back to Aus and the odd quick call.

I assume you can then buy top up credit as per other countries. Please advise.'

Thanks,

EB

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card

You can buy SIM card everywhere has a sign SIM card outside, phone shops. They are lots here. Should be around 3 to 4$. Same thing when you want to top up credit. Viettel is currently the strongest company here. Then Mobifone, then Vinaphone.

Hope this helps.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card

Bach's comment is sound.... You will have no problem finding a SIM here. I would suggest going with Viettel as I have experienced the least issues with them. Mobifone is also OK.

You can purchase scratch cards everywhere to top up credit.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Aus
Level Contributor
142 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card

Thanks guys.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card

You can buy Viettel sim card - tourist package

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Card

IdentiteTravel, please explain what that tourist package is, what it contains and what makes it different from any regular package?

Hanoi
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Card

Everywhere you can buy sim card in Vietnam. Viettel, Mobifone or Vinaphone are ok. it is about 50000VND/ sim, or 3$/ sim

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
674 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Card

Ello10

We bought a prepaid sim card last month through Mobifone.

100,000 dong for card and some credit. I think it was about 50,000 dong. We topped up once 100,000 dong and we rang home and sent texts over 2 weeks.

It is easy and you can buy at the airport or in the city.

Good luck.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim Card

the old Post Ofice is a tourist sight but inside there is a large desk selling sim cards for approx. us3.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim Card

O&Or .......... vctravel.com.vn/en/…

I'd just buy a sim. Cheapest sims I've seen have been 45,000 dong (about $2) but I wouldn't expect much credit on it for that price. As mentioned, available everywhere, as are top up cards. I use Mobifone with no problems. If you want GPRS Beeline have it enabled by default. Other companies you might have to bang in some numbers to get it on.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 12:23
10. Re: Sim Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 16:32