We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Vietnam with children...with a bit of help

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Travelling in Vietnam with children...with a bit of help

We have been overseas a couple of times with our kids but it has always been to one place within a country without too much moving around. This time we were keen to visit a few places within Vietnam to get a bit more of a feel for such an interesting and beautiful place. We have never been through a "travel agent" before but were recommended More Fun Travel as a company who would help us out. They were fantastic. I cannot recommend them more highly. Their local knowledge helped us tailor our trip to our needs. It saved us a great deal of time in pre-trip planning as well as on the ground during the holiday. I acknowledge that part of the fun of travelling is going where the wind takes you and making discoveries along the way...but there is also alot to be said for a bit of pre-planning hence avoiding dragging four hungry and tired children around at the end of the day trying to find a hotel that has rooms big enough to accommodate us!

If you are in the latter camp of travellers, give Ngoc at More Fun Travel a go. You will not be disappointed!

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
1. Re: Travelling in Vietnam with children...with a bit of help

Sounds like you had a good time. Where in VN dd you go? There are pages for specific hotel reviews it would be good for you to put your reviews on there as there are often people asking about travelling with kids. Also how did you get onto "more fun travel" (personally I haven't heard of them).

Thanks

Lou

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
748 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Travelling in Vietnam with children...with a bit of help

A trip report would be a great help as plan to go to Vietnam with our children next year.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Travelling in Vietnam with children...with a bit of help

Hi Lou,

We got super cheap Jetstar flights out of darwin to Saigon. Left Darwin around 6pm and arrived around 9pm Vietnam time (4 hr flight there abouts). The flight back was harder, it left Saigon at around 10pm and arrived in Darwin around 6am. We flew there and back for just around $900 (two adults, three kids and infant on one of our laps).

We went for 12 days. We stayed in Saigon for two nights and did a mekong delta day tour with a guide. We have never done anything like that before but it was actually really good. It did feel like we only scratched the surface though. Then we flew internally to Nha Trang for a beach holiday for four nights. Nice beach but there was a four lane road separating us and the beach. We did want to go to Da Nang and Hoi An but apparently the beach is quite cold in March there. And given we are very sensitive to the cold coming from Darwin we thought it better to stay further south,

Then we spent four nights in Da Lat, a small city in the mountains. (travelled by mini-bus on a pretty windy road!) It was lovely. The markets and fresh produce were amazing. We flew internally back to Saigon and stayed a couple more nights. We promised the kids we'd take them to a water park. We went on a Saturday which turned out to be a massive mistake as the crowds were huge and it was too chaotic, We didn't stay long at all.

We heard of the agent we used from a trusted work colleague. We have never gone through a travel agent before, preferring to organise things ourselves, but we had left things way too late to fully research what we wanted to do. Ngoc was amazing. she was very patient with all my emails, down to "will there be shade and life jackets on the boat?". Another time during the holiday we had a car transfer us from the airport to our hotel without seatbelts. So i rang her the next day to ensure that the mini-bus that was going to drive us to Dalat did have belts and she was very happy to make sure that happened for us. Payment was easy enough. They send an invoice via email which i took it to the bank and they transferred the money somehow!!

I hope this is helpful for you. I am happy to answer any other questions should the need arise,

Jo

4. Re: Travelling in Vietnam with children...with a bit of help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 21:20