We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

We arrive on the 1st of September in HCMC and depart from Hanoi on the 14th.

We want to do - HCMC, Mekong day trip, Golden bridge, Hanoi, and Halong Bay. Not interested in beaches or beach towns.

Day 1-2 HCMC

Day 3 Mekong

Day 4 HCMC

Day 5 Fly HCMC to Hoi An

Day 6 Golden Bridge + Danang

Day 7 Hoi An to Hue

Day 8 Hue

Day 9 Fly Hue to Hanoi

Day 10 Hanoi

Day 11-12 Halong Bay

Day 13-14 Hanoi

Uncertain about day 5-9 because its September. How long should we wait until finalizing that leg of our trip? What would be the best way to work around any bad weather scenario in Central Vietnam?

Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

Hi,

Day 5: HCM- Danang

Day 6: Golden bridge - Hoi An

Day 7: Hoi An- Hue

Danang is located between Hue and Hoi An so you could change a little bit your schedule. And I think Hoi An need more time to explore.

Wangaratta...
Level Contributor
573 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

September no problems with the weather in central Vietnam, I also would spend more time in Hoian 👍👍

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
1 review
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

It looks a bit rushed for Central VN.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

I'd spend more time in Hoi An and Hue.

Normally it takes 1.5 hours flight between destinations, so you have half day to spend on Day 5 & 9. Still be planned for delays sometimes.

Day 5: Morning fly HCMC to Da Nang + Da Nang city & Golden Bridge. You can stay in Da Nang or take a taxi directly to Hoi An (45mins)

Day 6 Hoi An

Day 7 Hoi An + travel to Hue (~ 3hrs by car)

Day 8 Hue

Day 9 Hue + Late flight Hue to Hanoi

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

We're mostly traveling for food and our ok with skipping some sights in Central Vietnam. My main objective is food and people in cities. My wife wants some social media worthy pictures.

Thanks for all the Hoi An recommendations and confirmation about weather. Should we finalize our flight itinerary or should we leave booking the Hue to Hanoi flight for later when we land in HCMC?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

Recommend you to book the flight ASAP. From now to Sept, the rate could be higher. Book directly in https://www.vietnamairlines.com/

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

I would suggest going 1 way to Mekong Delta and then flying Can tho to Da nang direct. Alleviating going into HCMC twice and dealing with congestion to and from airport.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
447 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

Do not take any days from Hanoi, in fact i would try and add another day as there is so much to see and do in this beautiful city. Try eating at Ta Hien Street , we ate there every night, at a different restaurant--- great food. (or is it Ha Tien ST)

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

Thanks. Would you recommend booking the mekong, ha long bay trips now as well? I got the impression from other threads that it's best to book the sight-seeing trips on the ground in Vietnam itself. Looking to book Sinh travels' day trip for Mekong.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam

Sorry im no expert. But if you wanted to go can tho to Da nang which would save you some time, then yes I would book that part now. We chose an overnight trip to the Mekong and then stayed an extra night to fly out of Can tho in the morning but there are night flights to Da nang so you wouldn't have to stay extra night. Vietjet site have super cheap flights at moment minus luggage seat etc but that add on costs peanuts in Vietnam.

Reply to: Itinerary suggestions for a fortnight in Vietnam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted