We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

I'm off to HCMC in July and I just want to take a cyclo around the city and to a couple of my destinations. How much should I pay? What is too much - I don't mind paying and obviously don't want to haggle too much but I also don't want them to charge too much.

Is a cyclo a good way to see the city?

Mentioned in this post
12 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

This is a very bad idea.

If you must do this, you MUST get your hotel to organize with you paying the hotel and them paying the driver

If you pick one up yourself, you will end up being threatened and having cash extorted from you.

But there is no reason for anyone to be taking a cyclo these days. Especially in Saigon.

There are organized cycle tours in Hanoi where the streets are slightly more amenable to cyclos. But look at the slightly embarrassed/bored look of those who are being transported.... It's not a good look.

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
560 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

Be very careful about using a cyclo. They are a mafia on their own.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

For such a cyclo trip around the sights of HCMC you should pay around $AUD20. What you will actually pay is probably $AUD100 because the cyclo driver will show you a book of what other Aussies have paid to give you the impression that the fare is reasonable. Of course it is fictitious. You will notice that things are going wrong at the end when he takes you to an alley for the transaction to be completed with the reasoning that cyclos are not allowed in some streets. The real reason is he wants to isolate you from any help.

These people are common criminals.

Ross

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

Hi, thanks so would you suggest booking a 'cyclo tour' - I've seen them advertised on Expedia etc. Or how would you suggest getting about to see the city - walking to the markets etc?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

"Hi, thanks so would you suggest booking a 'cyclo tour'..."

I wouldn't get on cyclo even if it was being ridden by my best mate.

Apart from the security / financial issues you'll potentially face, I've seen the looks on the tourist's faces that use them.

Trust me, they don't look like they're enjoying themselves. ;-)

Just walk around the city, it's very easy to do. Well, once you get used to the traffic. ;-)

Scott

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
727 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

The only way to be happy with what you pay is to confirm the cost before you get on the cyclo.

If it is $20 then pay him before you get on the cyclo. Give him the no more money signal firmly, when the tour/ride finishes get off the cyclo, do not converse or tip just grab your belongings and quickly walk away.

Thank you for asking.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 16:32
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

The advertised "cyclo tours " are not the same as what you would think of as old time icons. I'm afraid the time of the cyclo has come and gone, sadly, with Governments closing down areas as the cyclos pose a traffic problem. By narrowing down the territory the drivers have become aggressive con men and even if you think you will get off easily at the end because you paid up front, you haven't taken into account the myriad of scams he will pull to get more from you. If nothing else they are very creative.

Take a motor bike tour organised by your hotel. You will have a better time and have the experience of traffic immersion shoulder to shoulder with current Vietnam.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Rach Gia, Vietnam
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

Why not rent a bicycle , it is , of course, not the safest way to see the city, but at least you can do it at your own pace and cover a lot more than on foot.

Walking isn't that safe either, you can get killed just crossing a street in Saigon.

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
560 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
UK
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

Or just arrange a free (as in, "Yes, it really is free") tour with Saigon Hotpot.

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Hotpot
Saigon Hotpot
868 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?

Wow thanks! This tour group looks great!!!

Reply to: How much to pay a Cyclo or How much do they charge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted