We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit in fall?

Iowa
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit in fall?

We are planning a trip to Vietnam in the fall and am wanting to know if Sept, Oct, or Nov would be the best month for the whole of Vietnam. I know Central will be in the rainy season at this time so am curious as to if I should even plan it into the intinerary. I have googled it but keep seeing different months as the answer. Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit in fall?

There's no one-size-fits-all.

The weather in VN is somewhat comparable to the US East Coast.

And the fall doesn't have an exact date for early snow, late hurricanes from year to year.

You just have to decide on what area(s) you want to concentrate on and choose a month that has the best possibility for good weather.

If you want to travel the length of the country, you might as well just pick a month that is most convenient and lay out a few contingency plans.

Cheers,

John

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit in fall?

VN is simply wetter and more humid as a whole, and not as cold; I must add.

Obviously, the infrastructure is not comparable, which can be problematic in bad weather, especially in the mountainous areas.

John

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit in fall?

Over a couple of trips, we've been in Vietnam from mid September right through to end of October.

We've also visited Hoi An and Hue at that time. We did have a 'plan b', just in case of bad weather, but didn't need it.

Would happily visit again at that time.

Having said that, seeing what November has brought that region over the last few years, well, that would be a month that would make me very nervous.

Scott

Iowa
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit in fall?

I thought November was supposed to be less rain? If we left out central Vietnam would that be the best time for north and south? Or more so October?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit in fall?

Da Nang, which is just to the north of Hoi An, has pretty much the same weather pattern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Nang

For the South and the North, the rainy season comes and ends earlier.

John

Level Contributor
615 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit in fall?

It is hard to say for all as the weather at each region is totally different. But September seems to be a good month to travel across country before the rainy season comes from Oct in the central.

Sapa Sunshine Travel

Reply to: Best time to visit in fall?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted