We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

3 posts
1 review
Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking to travel somewhere in SE Asia in July. We will be traveling from Brisbane, and have never been to Asia before. We are looking for somewhere cheap, that has a good beach for snorkeling, is close to a city/night markets, and definitely looking for good food. Any recommendations would be great, it is overwhelming trying to just pick a place through google searches. Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Rach Gia, Vietnam
Level Contributor
413 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

That is a tough one:Vietnam is the cheapest of the 3 countries, but although it is also ahead in terms of cultural attractions, in terms of beaches and probably also diving(myself being a cyclist not so much a 'water person's I am only guessing here) it can't measure up to Thailand , let alone the Philippines.

Canberra
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
1 review
2. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

Thailand would be better.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,407 posts
2,251 reviews
3. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

<< in terms of beaches and probably also diving(myself being a cyclist not so much a 'water person's I am only guessing here) it can't measure up to Thailand , let alone the Philippines.>>

Strange comment when the Philippines has some of the best beaches in the world and offers fantastic diving. The beaches there constantly figure in Asia's top beaches on the tripadvisor choice awards here <, https:/…TravelersChoice-Beaches-cTop-g2 >>>

For e.g. Boracay Philippines #2 ( https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Re… ) and #8 Nacpan Beach

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
298 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

Strange comment? You just reinforced what he said. Re-read that post perhaps?

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
10,182 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

Cant say I could recommend Vietnam for diving/snorkeling. The whole coast is washed by the East Sea which is a green sedimented sea mostly, with only minimal opportunities. Philippines would be my choice of the 3 being considered.

Cheers Ross

Rach Gia, Vietnam
Level Contributor
413 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

Strange comment when the Philippines has some of the best beaches in the world and offers fantastic diving. The beaches there constantly figure in Asia's top beaches on the tripadvisor choice awards here <, https:/…TravelersChoice-Beaches-cTop-g2 >>

That is exactly what I said, that the Philippines are tops in the beach , and probably also diving department.

I biked all around the coast of Negros, Cebu, Bohol etc and the scenery is hard to beat.

Unfortunately, the hotels are so much more expensive than in Vietnam and Thailand:Hopefully, with the peso having been on a precipitous fall recently, that discrepancy is quite as glaring anymore.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,407 posts
2,251 reviews
7. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

My apologies as I misread your post.

Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

Good beaches + good food + good hotels (quality at fair price) = Best Experience is offered by Thailand (Phuket, Phi Phi, Crabi islands).

Then, it is Vietnam and Vietnamese food is the one the most delicious in the world -true! I have been to North Vietnam Halong Bay--> https://goo.gl/ZaGsou. Cruise tour was awesome, which you can arrange from your hotel upon arrival, hotels are good and low-priced, nice beaches are also probably in the South of Vietnam. Generally, the cheapest country among those three.

The last for me is Philippines - the least safe among three countries, infrastructure is poor, traffic is terrible. Well, traffic is terrible in all three (will be shocking for the first comers especially). Boracay is the most expensive island considering the quality you get. Food there wasn't good (expensive and not delicious, seafood wasn't fresh and often burnt). But the island itself is wonderful, the sand is white and the water is crystal clear. The beach is the one you dream about and you forget everything there + they have really good entertainments/bars, you won't be bored. If you decide to go there - read the reviews of the restaurants in advance. Whereas in Thailand and Vietnam - you don't have to worry about the food, anywhere you go it will be great!

Also, Malaysia is great option to consider, if interested : Tioman, Redang islands with good beaches and diving, snorkeling. Perhentian island - is more of a budget option, but still great.

All of the above mentioned have all kinds of water activities.

No matter, what country you choose, a word of advice is to be careful : watch your belongings, don't leave them unattended on the beach, put money into pockets with zip or inside pockets, because the thieves riding motorcyclists can easily snatch your bag (happened to me, worst experience), they are really fast and operate at the touristic spots. For that reason, don't take your passport, it's better to leave it at the hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

Nargiz M, the OP is travelling in July. Boracay is closed to tourism for 6 months until late October and a massive clean-up is underway.

Regards

rayza

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
81 reviews
10. Re: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?

Tioman , Perhentians , Redang , Lang Tengah , Kapas ,etc

... all this islands on East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia has lovely beaches but forget about alternative activities..

No city or night markets as they are all small islands for purely beach activities & nothing else...

To me , it's a toss between Phuket in Thailand & Bohol in Philippines..purely based on beach destinations that i've been to...

There are many nice beach destinations in Thailand that suits your requirements but i've only been to Phuket & the much quieter Ko Lanta..

Philippines is safe enough for a Singaporean like me to travel solo..

There are so many Philippines islands with nice beaches , night markets & city life in the Philippines but i've only been to less than 10 islands probably...

Food in the Philippines is lousy if u did not research prior & choose the lousy eateries...

Indeed , there are some places in the province of Mindanao that i will not venture to but that is about it..

Reply to: Vietnam/Thailand/Philippines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted