We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card or portable wifi?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
SIM card or portable wifi?

My family (17 yr old, 20 yr old, husband and me) are traveling to Vietnam and Singapore next month. I frankly don't think we can figure out the SIM card thing on our iPhones and am looking at purchasing or renting a portable wifi device or two. Has anyone tried this or have any recommendations?

8 replies to this topic
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM card or portable wifi?

Anyone selling you a sim card with 3/4 g can set it up for you. Once you've seen it done you'll be an instant pro.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM card or portable wifi?

I frankly don't think we can figure out the SIM card thing on our iPhones

======================================================

Renting portable wifi is last decades technology. If you must have one you can buy them for $20 these days

All phones can be turned into a portable wifi/hotspot. Most phones claim to be good for providing 6-8 other devices with wifi

Here is a tutorial, it is really simple

https://youtu.be/FY9n5DdFrRU

Do you know for sure your phones are unlocked?

Edited: 12 May 2018, 08:49
Queensland...
Level Contributor
179 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM card or portable wifi?

Sorry to butt in on this, but we're off to Vietnam & Cambodia in August & wondering about the same thing. I like to be able to access Google maps while away, TA & Message/FB. I was looking in to renting a MiFi, but after reading a few things am leaning more towards getting a data sim when we land?? Is there a company that you people 'in the know' would recommend? Do you agree this is the best way to go (phone is unlocked). Also, do we need to get a different sim for Cambodia? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM card or portable wifi?

Am currently in Vietnam. I just bought a Viettel SIM for VND 300k at the airport when I landed in Hanoi. The girl at the counter set it up for me on my unlocked phone. It has data (2 GB/day I think) and a bit of voice as well.

Have been using it extensively in Hanoi, Ninh Binh, Hue, Da Nang and Hoi An. Also on the train from Hanoi to Hue. No coverage or speed issues.

Good idea to buy a Sim card for voice as well. Have also been using Grab app for taxis and the drivers tend to call to confirm pickup.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM card or portable wifi?

We just got back from Vietnam and Singapore. I bought a mobile wifi hotspot (Glocal me) and it worked fine. I do wish I would have bought a SIM card at the airport though, much more convenient, but 3 of the 4 of us didn't want our phones messed with. I also had an international plan, but overages with that as well. Get the SIM card. It will be cheaper and easier to deal with. Just don't lose your regular SIM card.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIM card or portable wifi?

but 3 of the 4 of us didn't want our phones messed with.

======================================================

This is something I don't understand. After 12 trips , my phone has never been "messed with". As soon as you get back home you put your old sim in and its just the way it was before.

The people at the airport, who change your sim card, sticky tape your old one to the plastic card your Vietnam sim was in.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIM card or portable wifi?

Is there a company that you people 'in the know' would recommend? Do you agree this is the best way to go (phone is unlocked). Also, do we need to get a different sim for Cambodia? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

There is Viettel ,Mobiphone and VinaPhone . The first 2 are on a par as far as coverage, maybe Viettel has an edge.

They are reliable, at least comparable to Australian phone companies.

I usually take 2 phones, one as a spare with all my home numbers for emergencies. But if you are going with someone else, one phone each is fine and yes unlocked is a must.

I read that Viettel have dropped their roaming charges charges for Cambodia and Laos from July 2017. But it will still probably be cheaper to buy a Cambodian sim. The people at the border crossings or airport will change the sim for you. I have done it countless times.

Download the maps of Vietnam and Cambodia from google so you can access them without 3G or wifi if needed.

Edited: 22 June 2018, 07:45
Chico CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SIM card or portable wifi?

Sim cards, and data rates are super cheap in Vietnam. We had our tour company buy one for us in advance

so we didnt have to stand in line and sort out that transaction after a long flight.

They handed it to us when we stepped off the flight. Added a few bucks to our bill but very simple

for a jet lagged traveller.

Reply to: SIM card or portable wifi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted