We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

Dear fellow travelers,

I am going to Vietnam in September, 6 - 23 to be precise. (17days) In and out flights are HCMC. I have done extensive research and came up with the following itinerary. If someone could take a look and share some feedback based on experience I would be mostly grateful.

Arrive, spend 2 days in HCMC - go to local museums, eat street food, relax after the flight.

Day 3-4-5 Mekong Delta, Floating markets. Should I take a tour for this (what's a reasonable cost to pay and if I should book anything in advance) or could I do this with public transport.

Day 6 - get back to HCMC and take a flight to Hanoi. Spend days 6-7 in Hanoi, enjoying local food and bars.

Day - 8 - 9 - 10 Sapa. Again - should I book a tour or could do this myself? Trekking multiple km is not a problem. I would love to get as much of a local experience as possible.

Days 11 - 12 - 13 Halong Bay. Should I book in advance or could book this with a local agency? What would be a reasonable price to pay for the cruise (3-4stars?)

Day 14-15 Enjoy Hanoi and fly back to HCMC.

Days 16-17 stay in HCMC and fly back home.

I feel like I could accommodate another highlight after the Halong Bay - any advice?

Any information is much appreciated.

Budget wise, i would love to fit into $1000-1500pp , it will be 2 of us.

Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

You can get much better value deals if you book on arrival through your hotel(s). Don't book online in advance. Many posts here give examples of ridiculous prices quoted when they've tried to do this.

For example: I did a full day cruise around Lan Ha bay (same scenery as Ha Long but far fewer tourists). Cost $US15, and great value for money. Similar ones online up to $US100+

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

Do public transport (Bus) from HCMC to Mekong Delta (Can Tho) and ask your hotel/ homestay to arrange a floating market tour.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

Thanks, guys. Do you think I should buy internal flights now(25usd one way atm) or do they drop further? Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

"Do you think I should buy internal flights now(25usd one way atm) or do they drop further?"

I doubt you'll get much cheaper than that.

But one point, you can actually fly from Can Tho (Mekong Delta) to Hanoi. You don't have to go back to HCMC.

Scott

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

I think with your itinerary you could fit in a night in Ninh Binh, and with the flights I found they look cheap until you do a dummy booking and get the add-ons, best to do that to gauge the actual cost. You can get better deals if you wait to book things when there but I have pre-booked everything for our up-coming trip, to be organised, but I have only used local guides with good reviews. So much info on here, travel fish and other sites. We go next week.....:-)

Vietnam
Level Contributor
846 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

Hello,

"Day - 8 - 9 - 10 Sapa. Again - should I book a tour or could do this myself? Trekking multiple km is not a problem. I would love to get as much of a local experience as possible."

Suggest you either book a multi-day trek and home stay with one of the ladies listed in the "things to do section" here on TA or wait until you reach Sapa and do the same with one of the local independent guides.

Doing it this way, avoiding travel agencies, will put all the cash directly into the hands of a needy family.

Safe travels :)

Edited: 11 May 2018, 14:05
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your reply!

Putting money in the families not agencies is exactly what I want to do!

Also, can you recommend a nice beach location anywhere on route to chill for 1-2 days, if any available in September?

many thanks

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your reply - an advice like this was exactly what I was hoping to get...

Cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

I am also going to Vietnam for 17 days in September! This is our plan:

HCMC - 4 nights

Can Tho - 2 nights

we are looking for a tour to pick us up in HCMC and end in Can Tho so we don't miss a day of our trip by sitting on a bus. I know it'll be touristy, but at least we will get to learn something and see some things.

Fly from Can Tho to Hanoi (Vietnam Airlines $60 CAD for one-way flight)

Go straight to Cat Ba in Halong Bay - 3 or 4 nights

Hanoi - 5 or 6 nights

We fly home from Hanoi

We didn't want to travel around too much seeing as we have such little time in the country and travel days are usually quite long.

Level Contributor
196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018

Most nice beaches in Vietnam are in the central region (Nha Trang, Da Nang etc) and the deep South on the gulf of Thailand (Ha Tien, Phu Quoc). But since you mostly fly, you might not have a chance to go there. Vung Tau, near Saigon, has ok, but not exceptional, beaches, and is touristy. But it is only about 2.5 hrs bus ride from Saigon. I wouldn't go swimming in Ha Long Bay. The sceneries are beautiful, but the water's quality is questionable. I'm surprised you are not visiting Hoi An. Interesting ancient trading town with nice beaches nearby.

Reply to: Vietnam - itinerary advice for September 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted