We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Mai Chau to Hanoi airport

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Mai Chau to Hanoi airport

Hi there, we are staying in Mai Châu ecolodge until 17th May and have a 7pm flight from Hanoi airport on the 17th. Our hotel have advised us that they can arrange a private taxi for $100 dollars from the hotel to the airport but this seems very expensive.

Can anyone recommend alternative transport options or good taxi companies we could use to travel from Mai Châu to Hanoi airport? Would be happy to go on one of the buses via Hanoi and then get a taxi from the centre to the airport but I don’t know how far the Mai Châu bus station is from our hotel and how we would get there from our ecolodge.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
3 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Mai Chau to Hanoi airport

There's more than likely a bus, but maybe pretty local, so perhaps a little more difficult to navigate.

You could perhaps try a company like Hanoi Transfer Service, who arrange transfers all over the country.

Scott

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi Transfer Service
Hanoi Transfer Service
2,001 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Mai Chau to Hanoi airport

I haven't been to Mai Chau, but as I am fluent in Vietnamese, I've been studying the country for nearly a decade now.

Websites like these describe things like transportation between Ha Noi and Mai Chau. You can use a translation software to get an idea and ask the hotel to get them to assist you with booking. Just tell the employee that you're willing to pay a small service charge.

https://maichautravel.wordpress.com/

maichautourist.com/post/xe-khach-ha-noi-mai-…

Most coaches are 24-seaters with fare (for VN tourists) ranging between 80-100K VND. They are likely to pick up in the Old Quarter when the number of travelers justifies the cost (hence the useful service of the hotel - the hotels work with the transport companies.)

The downside is that they could go around to pick up people, taking up some time.

Your other option is to use the Khi Ngoc (Jade Monkey) Travel/Transport Co.

They use 10-seat concersion vans like the Ford Transit or Mercedes Sprinter to serve tourists.

The fare is between 350-400K VND round trip.

(Roughly twice the cost of a coach.)

The van will pick you up from and deposit you at your hotel.

To catch the coach/bus, if they dont pick you up, you need to go to the My Dinh bus station (about $7 taxi fare).

The bus station in Mai Chau is in front of the market (along the highway) and a short walk to the Mai Chau Lodge (850m).

If you stay at the MC Ecolodge, the distance is about double (1.7km)

But usually, the coach will drop you off at the hotel as well (again, it's beneficial to go through the hotel.)

Cheers,

John

Mentioned in this post
Mai Chau
Mai Chau
Hoa Binh Province, Vietnam
Old Quarter
Old Quarter
23,682 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Mai Chau Lodge
Mai Chau Lodge