We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

doing HCMC ourselves?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
doing HCMC ourselves?

we are in HCMC for 3 days, 1 day is to Cu Chi tunnels, mid afternoon on free, the other two days free. I was considering doing a free walking tour (we are in District 1 easy walk, apart from traffic of course) to all major attractions incl markets. Are we better off just walking around doing it ourselves? Are the tours of the Reunification palace, War Remnants museum etc free once you pay entry, or do you pay for that as well?

Mentioned in this post
The Chi Boutique Hotel
The Chi Boutique Hotel
469 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
War Remnants Museum
War Remnants Museum
25,762 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: doing HCMC ourselves?

Not sure about any costs of the tours but I would say it's quite easy to explore HCMC on your own. Depends on your preference, really. I did HCMC alone in 2-3 days a couple of weeks ago and went to the War Remnants museum, Saigon Skydeck and the Town Hall and adjacent square. Loved it. Even did a street food tour in the evening, which was really great as well

Mentioned in this post
War Remnants Museum
War Remnants Museum
25,762 Reviews
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
555 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
622 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: doing HCMC ourselves?

A great place to head to is the Bitexco Tower best view of Saigon from the skydeck. Entrance fee about 200,000 Dong. Then head down Walking Street (Nguyen Hue) to the Town Hall. Then back one street to Le Loi to see the Opera House. Then down Ong Khoi Street to Notre Dame Catholic Church then across to the Post Office. Continue down Cong XA Paris street to Diamond Plaza for much needed relaxation, air conditioning and refreshment. Make sure you take a hat and plenty of water the google maps apps is a great help. I had a great afternoon doing this a couple of years ago and is easy to do in an afternoon, I got a taxi to Bitexco Tower.

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
555 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Diamond Plaza
Diamond Plaza
181 Reviews
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: doing HCMC ourselves?

You don't see Vietnamese's walk around with water, do you? I don't either, unless I'm trekking.

Just have a coffee now and again and fill up on the free ice tea.

But as said above, make sure to stay hydrated if you're unfamiliar with hot, humid conditions.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 17:47
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: doing HCMC ourselves?

we are from Sydney, so, especially over this last long hot, humid, summer, we are used to hot and humid conditions, (only cooling down now and it is almost winter) plus been to Thailand in their "green season" and survived lol. I like hot weather, so that doesn't phase me, and yes, the water thing is needed but we can buy it an any mini mart etc as necessary?

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: doing HCMC ourselves?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted