We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North South East Asia trip

2 posts
2 reviews
North South East Asia trip

I am planning a 23 long trip to cover highlights of Northern South East Asia.

My flight is from Lucknow, India to Siem Reap on 15th June 2018.

My tentative itinerary is

Ankor Wat/Siem Reap 3 days

Battambang 2 days

Flight to Hoi An

Hoi An 2 days

Hue 2 days

Flight to Hanoi

Hanoi 3 days

Halong Bay 1 day

Sapa 2 days

Flight to luang prabang

Luang Panang 3 days

Flight to Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai 3 days

Bankok and around 3 days

Flight to Bangalore from Bangkok on 9th July 2018

This is my priliminery itinerary. Any advice is welcome. I have been doing whirlwind travelling so can manage this kind of traveling. But feel free to point out its too hectic or unrealistic.

I enjoy candid and landscape travel photography. So any advice with that perspective would be great.

Ciao

8 replies to this topic
India
Level Contributor
42 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: North South East Asia trip

Hi Vishal,

First of all, I am jealous of 23 days long vacation :)

I could comment on Hanoi itinerary as just got back with wonderful memories. And this looks fine. Only thing - Hope you have a day planned for travel form Halong Bay to Sapa and then 2 days in Sapa.

It'll be rainy in a few parts so be prepared and enjoy the landscape.

Since you mentioned whirlwind travelling, all I could say is enjoy.

Cheers,

Pracheta

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: North South East Asia trip

Hello,

A bit rushed, but you already know that :)

If it were me, I would skip Battambang and add those days to Siem Reap / Angkor, or just about any of the other destinations you mentioned.

Now, let me ask you a question :)

Is there a direct flight from Lucknow to Siem Reap? Very interested in this as I have soent a bit of time in Varanasi and plan on returning.

Thanks

Edited: 10 May 2018, 09:16
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: North South East Asia trip

Candid photography, check. Landscape photography this rushed will be more like candid shots as you've left yourself no time for alternatives.

Rushed traveling isn't the same in Vietnam as in many other places.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
449 reviews
4. Re: North South East Asia trip

Busy time with lots of traveling, but you seem to have made your plan for 24 days.

Your trip to Halong Bay is a day trip or overnight trip. If it is a day trip it is a long day, 4 hrs to get there, 3 hrs or so on the junk and 3 hrs back. Going to Sapa most people take the night train for about $35, although there are night buses a lot cheaper and taking 5-6 hours. You have the number of days to see the highlights in each place about correct, but consider the travel time between each place and this will cut your hours at each destination. Maybe skip one or even 2 of the places.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: North South East Asia trip

"Battambang 2 days - Flight to Hoi An". Both Battambang and Hoi An have no airports. Nearest airport to Hoi An is located at Da Nang. In order to leave Battambang and arrive in Hoi An by air you need to take a flight from Siam Reap to Da Nang. You may also skip Battambang as suggested above.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: North South East Asia trip

4 countries in just over 3 weeks, with multiple stops in these? Way too hectic if you ask me! Especially given how slow travel in SE Asia is. I'd stick to a maximum of 2 countries/ 6 destinations over that time period or you'll end up travelling to places for the sake of it, but without actually seeing/ experiencing them.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,930 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: North South East Asia trip

I can only comment about the VN part.

To accommodate travel time, you would need two more days.

If you have a private tour pre-arranged, you can make do with one extra day.

Otherwise, the current itinerary could leave you stranded. Think flight delay and some traffic in June.

Cheers,

John

8. Re: North South East Asia trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 May 2018, 10:05

Reply to: North South East Asia trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted