We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An - please help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
Hoi An - please help
Save

Hi guys,

Just booked a trip to Vietnam. Staying in Hoi An for 8 nights and just had a few questions.

1. We are travelling from sydney and have a 3 hour layover in hong kong, will our luggage be sent straight to Da Nang? We are going on cathay pacific to hong kong  and then on their sister flight, cathay dragon.

2. Can anyone make any good suggestions for day trips? Good cooking classes or must see placed? Is it better to book it prior to the trip or when we arrive, should we book via the hotel?

3. Can anyone make a suggestion for a good sim card to purchase and where to purchase?

4. Is the duty free any good at Da Nang airport?

5. Do we need to pay in USD for the visa? Can we pay in AUD?

6. We had vaccinations for a trip to Thailand a couple years ago, do we need anything additional for Vietnam?

7. Any suggestions for really good restaurants/cafes in the area?

8. Do vitamins and medication need to be in the original packaging or can it be in a ziploc bag?

Appreciate it :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam, Hanoi
Level Contributor
14,738 posts
1. Re: Hoi An - please help
Save

1. If it's booked on the one ticket, then I'd think it would be checked right through.

Perhaps check with the airline?

2. I'd book when you're there.

3. -

4. -

5. Pay in USD.

6. Ask you doctor.

7. -

8. Don't believe so.

Scott

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
37 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Hoi An - please help
Save

3. Anywhere really. Da Nang just inaugurated its new international port a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know where the put the kiosk.

4. Same answer; and therefore, I have no idea if the duty-free shop is any good. (I normally don't look for it at any airport anyway.)

Cheers,

John

Da Lat, Vietnam
Level Contributor
16,606 posts
84 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: Hoi An - please help
Save

I was in the area in May - Hoi An will be packed with Chinese and Korean tourists (and I do mean packed). I personally think http://www.ganesh.vn/site/ganesh-hoi-an.html is the best restaurant in town. A day trip to Ba Na Hills would be nice: http://banahills.sunworld.vn/en/

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
187 posts
258 reviews
86 helpful votes
4. Re: Hoi An - please help
Save

Depending on your interests - My Son sanctuary is a fascinating UNSECO world heritage site.

Hue, also, is a city worthy of consideration if history is of interest.

Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Hoi An - please help
Save

Hi, We were in Hoi An a few weeks ago for 4 nights. In terms of somewhere to go and eat i don't really think that you can go wrong in Hoi An. However, one place that stood out for us was Nu Eatery. It's on the western side of the Japanese Bridge so the area was not as crammed. The food was delicious and it was in a cute shoebox type building.

As for things to do, we did a cooking class with Red Bridge, a food tour with Neville (The Original Taste of Hoi An) and we also did a trip to My Son. We also took a massage at White Rose Spa. All of these we arranged when we got to Hoi An and we found them by looking through TripAdvisor. I would recommend that if you do My Son, get your hotel to arrange a private driver and leave at sunrise. It was really lovely to have the place almost to ourselves before the bus tours arrived. All of what we did we thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend to others. :-)

Hope this helps.

Richard.

Da Lat, Vietnam
Level Contributor
16,606 posts
84 reviews
70 helpful votes
6. Re: Hoi An - please help
Save

Just be sure to book a place with pool - almost essential in this heat. I was at the Atlas Hotel and their pool is wonderful (both shade and sun).

7. Re: Hoi An - please help

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2018, 14:18
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.