We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

Newcastle
Level Contributor
77 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

I have read here on the forums that you get a better exchange rate if you bring Australian dollars and convert them when in Thailand. Are there specific denominations that are preferred ie. $100 or $50 notes?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

You also get a good rate if you bring Australian $ Traveller Cheques, which you can get free of commission at Australia Post - saves you bringing a big chunk of cash.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

Hi nellygirl

Yes you're right never change money outside Thailand for Thai baht. And big $100 $50 denominations notes are slightly better rates than small one.

I am with Cass about travel cheque. It's the most safe( if lost or stollen can be replace) and save for fee 33 baht per cheque for govt tax as opposed to ATM ( if you use it 150baht fee for using Thai ATM machine and plus + your banks fee ). Me too get my T/C from post office no fee to buy or sell it back ( if left over or keep it for your next trip as never expired).

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

Hi

We are off to Phuket for our first time in 4 weeks (countdown is on!!! Can't wait!!!) - we have used travel money cards in other countries - I had been planning to do so again however reading here - do you believe it would be better to take a mix of cash and travellers cheques. I am just a bit hesitant to take too much cash.......

Thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

The cards have a lot of related charges - I took one a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed so I reverted back to having TC's, cash and a credit card - works well for me.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

I take ANZ TC's in $500 denominations and they cost B33 to convert which is $1,if i withdrew $500 at an ATM,it would cost $23 in Thai/Aussie bank fees.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

Yes we always take combinations of cash, T/C and credit card as back up.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
77 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

I felt I got ripped off when I used my cash passport card in Koh Samui in December so that is why I'm looking at other options.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

"Are there specific denominations that are preferred ie. $100 or $50 notes?"

For Aussie dollars NO, just don't try to pass off $1 and $2 coins.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

Carrying $100 and $50 notes is easier than wads of $20 etc however all are exchangeable. Personally like others have said, I also find a combination of cash, TC's and a back up credit card the most suitable. I am yest to find a cash card that is cheaper to use than the TC's.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Converting Australian Dollars to Thai Baht

You can also consider 28 degree mastercard, you can preload with cash, there is no bank fee attached to it, other than the 150b ATM fee there. ($5)

Michelle