We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport warning

Cairns, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Airport warning

Beware of items missing from checked in luggage-Possible connection between 'phuket security scanning' to indicate suitcases which hold items of interest. Gift boxes were left empty in suitcase.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport warning

Also could mean a security issue in Oz as well. Baggage handler thieves the world over.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport warning

they call heathrow "theifrow"

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport warning

I think that's why you see more and more luggage with that plastic wrap that is avalable at the airports.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport warning

This has been a problem the world over for decades. best be is to put nothing valuable in any bag hat is going to be out of your sight.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport warning

Hi,

I agree with the others.. it's an issue- and one that's not isolated to Phuket, Bangkok, or the Kingdom..

Bags pass thru the control of several bodies along the way from origin check-in, to security screening, loading, connection transfer (if applicable) to arrival unloading and in some cases a pre-relcaim customs examination.. So lots of people and places for things to go bad.

This isn't an acceptance that stealing in any form is OK.. it's not.. but is an acknowledgment of what the process is, and the extent that each party plays and the fact that in most cases, the carriers can't and don't have control over them from start to end.

That said, I do also think that there's some shared responsibility in play here.. As I've mentioned on similar threads; yes, you do have every right to expect you get all your stuff back.. no if's and's or but's about it.. .. but... I also think that much like it is when you valet park your car.. you do have some level of responsibility to properly secure valuables.. or retain direct control over high value, high risk, fragile or like items; to the extent possible and permitted.

Now, this isn't always possible for everything in a checked bag, but I mention this because I do think the overall point is legitimate in that yes, airlines, airports and the like do have a responsibility to properly safeguard your possessions while in their control.. but I also think that to the extent possible and practical, a passenger also needs to exercise proper safeguards with respect to high value, fragile or similar items when in transit.

Travel Safe,

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport warning

looks like I'll be doing the carry-on only thing like we did in Kenya.

Truthfully, it was a challenge to condense everything we thought we might need for 2 weeks in a carry-on.. but it beat dealing with the possibility that we wouldn't see our luggage at all on the other side or that people along with way would help themselves to stuff.

the challenge will be the shopping, no doubt! :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport warning

Don't overblow the situation.. Millions of travellers have passed through Thailand every year and have had nothing stolen.. I've visited Thailand yearly for the past 10+ years, and have always had checked bags on all flights. I've not returned home with anything missing yet..

As mentioned by others, don't put anything of value into checked bags..

Cheers.

Level Contributor
51 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport warning

Hope my 4Kg boogie board bag is ok next trip......

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport warning

I've traveled quite a bit & ther only place that items have gone missing is through Frankfurt, twice.

10. Re: Airport warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:40